Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Well this is awesome ... turned kind of long?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies

I've been having more trouble than usual falling asleep this week, normally I can be asleep between 12 and 2 am. This week I havent been able to fall asleep before DH leaves for work at 4:30. I sleep til the little ones wake up then take a short nap in the late morning/early afternoon with them, so it hasn't been too big an issue.
Last night I was determined to be asleep by my "normal" time range so I could call DS's school first thing in the morning to let them know my mom will be picking DS up, and no nap since she needs to pick up his sign and his seat from my during naptime, plus I have assignments due tonight and figured I could get them out of the way too.
I wasn't too tired when I tried to lay down at 11:30 but figured maybe on the off chance I'll fall asleep lets try, tried a few different things, nothing.
Decided to take a shower since thats a 50/50 shot at making me a little sleepy.. helped calm me down a bit so tried to sleep again, then my to-do list started running through me head, I know I wont be able to sleep thinking about it and itll just make me want to get up and do it so instead I get up and write it down so I wont forget. Almost finished with it and I get really cold, no biggy, throw on a hoodie, fluffy pj pants and socks and snuggle under a warm blanket right? Still cold  half hour later. So hot chocolate it is! Hot chocolate and a good book... except I get sucked into the book, snap out of it when the dogs come to me and start nudging me to go outside... Throw my hot chocolate in the microwave, take them out come back in and finish drinking it, now I'm too hot, goodbye socks, goodbye hoodie, goodbye fluffy pjs and into thinner but super comfy pj pants. Look at the clock. 
Well crap.....
So here I am FIVE FREAKING HOURS later. With a headache, missing Excedrin, obviously not asleep, DH should be waking up and leaving very soon, BUT I have to call the school at 7:30-8 :/ alarms do NOT work for me, at all, I've tried a ton, tried various ways to wake up to them. nothing. nada. So now I CANT go to sleep even if I want to :(  

Definitely didn't think this post would be so long! lol. but I just kept typing and rambling away. I'll be surprised if anyone makes it this far though! 

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 12, 2014 at 4:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
bleumonster
by Sapphire Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 4:36 AM
Been there, done that. Usually the only reasons I can't sleep are pain or worry. Right now it's pain.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 12, 2014 at 4:39 AM

That sucks :( We're not 100% sure why I can't sleep... my doctor thinks its related to my depression issue we've been working on, I think I have a screwed up ass backwards sleep cycle or something.. I usually get energy around 5-6 pm but spend majority of my day before that feeling tired and blah even if I slept well the night before :(

Quoting bleumonster: Been there, done that. Usually the only reasons I can't sleep are pain or worry. Right now it's pain.

bleumonster
by Sapphire Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 4:45 AM
I could sleep well when I worked off shifts too. I rarely had trouble that other people had with sleeping during the daytime. I usually have to adjust and then wind down though. However when I did have occasional insomnia, I did better if I got up and did stuff. Now that i work 1st, pain, worry or upset is the only reason that I can't sleep.
Bleacher-mom
by Ruby Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 4:52 AM
Yeah. Been there done that got the shirt. Lol. I'm with you. I have a hard time going to sleep. It doesn't matter how tired I am during the day. Come bed time I'm wide awake.

Best suggestion, obviously besides melatonin, is no matter what comes to your mind, to do list, hot chocolate, thinking about the book your reading and dying to know what happens next, do not get up. Just don't. Just lie there with your eyes closed and push that thing out of your mind.
wickedstepjenn
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 5:01 AM
I have terrible insomnia. . I should have been asleep hours ago. I have pain, and then stress. One thing that helps is very odd but I watch law and order special victims unit and I fall asleep. Only thing I can think is my step dad used to watch it all night (he was a musician so he worked till late and had to unwind). He would blast the tv because he couldnt hear from the band etc so I guess it reminds me of him and living at home lol so maybe find something from childhood that is comforting?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 12, 2014 at 5:08 AM

I drive myself insane if I don't do something after 45+ minutes of trying to fall asleep. Even if I just lay there reading a book and dont get up.. Otherwise things go through my mind and start building up to other things and it gets to the point I cant lay still, fidgetting, and cant keep my eyes closed at all :( 
It REALLY has to change and ASAP. I need to be able to get up in the mornings on my own for when DH isn't here and DS and/or I have school or something else...  

Quoting bleumonster: I could sleep well when I worked off shifts too. I rarely had trouble that other people had with sleeping during the daytime. I usually have to adjust and then wind down though. However when I did have occasional insomnia, I did better if I got up and did stuff. Now that i work 1st, pain, worry or upset is the only reason that I can't sleep.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 12, 2014 at 5:12 AM

Exactly :( I'ts like my brains reversed for some reason lol. 
I tried laying there for I think it was about 50 minutes? Trying to "empty" my brain, not wiggle around a lot, at the very least rest my eyes if I couldn't fall asleep. I only checked the clock once, well technically twice since I checked to make sure DHs alarm was on about 5 minutes after laying down because I forgot to before I did lol. But the rest... IDK lol reading usually helps me fall asleep or at least get tired enough I can lay there with my eyes closed and knock out... I cant stand being freezing or sweating when trying to fall asleep either so figured solving that problem would help, of course didn't get solved but just switched it...
If I knew DH would wake up for sure or my kids were older Id get something to knock me out at night at this rate because I can't function like I need to like this :( 

Quoting Bleacher-mom: Yeah. Been there done that got the shirt. Lol. I'm with you. I have a hard time going to sleep. It doesn't matter how tired I am during the day. Come bed time I'm wide awake. Best suggestion, obviously besides melatonin, is no matter what comes to your mind, to do list, hot chocolate, thinking about the book your reading and dying to know what happens next, do not get up. Just don't. Just lie there with your eyes closed and push that thing out of your mind.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 12, 2014 at 5:18 AM

I dont really have anything, when I was younger I absolutely HAD TO have noise or I couldnt sleep, I remember when I was about 9 maybe? my mom, aunt, uncle and someone else were hanging out in the living room after I went to bed, I could tell they were trying to be quiet so I could go to sleep and I popped my head out the door, yelled down the hall that they were being too quiet and I couldnt sleep lmao. But after a certain point I didnt need that anymore, then when I got married I had to have the TV on  on the nights DH wouldnt be home, even if I wasnt watching it or anything I had to have that noise, but then it turned into needing when he was home and it'd make DH mad because he couldnt sleep so I worked myself off having it on at night to fall asleep and we completely removed the tv from our room during one of our moves (I'm going to say 2.5 years ago? since our last move was a year ago and the one before that was 1.5 years before) 
But ya :/ other wise there's really nothing I can think of... I know I've always had SOME trouble waking up to alarms but nothing nearly this bad I was able to, but now I can have various alarms, sounds, etc going off for hours before I wake up. But now its combined with not being able to fall asleep so it makes it that much worse  

Quoting wickedstepjenn: I have terrible insomnia. . I should have been asleep hours ago. I have pain, and then stress. One thing that helps is very odd but I watch law and order special victims unit and I fall asleep. Only thing I can think is my step dad used to watch it all night (he was a musician so he worked till late and had to unwind). He would blast the tv because he couldnt hear from the band etc so I guess it reminds me of him and living at home lol so maybe find something from childhood that is comforting?

wickedstepjenn
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 5:33 AM
Hmm.. maybe headphones with music and maybe theres a alarm with flashing lights or turns on a light that would wake you? My dh sleeps like the dead so I usually wake him or turn on a light that goes in his eyes (and run for the hills lol hes a grumpy bear when woken no matter how).

When im home alone I have to have it silent (I get panic attacks if I cant hear every pin drop) but when the kids are home and dh I have to have noise and so do they so it works for us.

I also get ambien but I cant take that every day because it stops working. Melatonin just gives me brain fog. So I end up up till 3am usually no matter if I have to be up by 6 am. Yawwwwn!

Quoting Anonymous 1:

I dont really have anything, when I was younger I absolutely HAD TO have noise or I couldnt sleep, I remember when I was about 9 maybe? my mom, aunt, uncle and someone else were hanging out in the living room after I went to bed, I could tell they were trying to be quiet so I could go to sleep and I popped my head out the door, yelled down the hall that they were being too quiet and I couldnt sleep lmao. But after a certain point I didnt need that anymore, then when I got married I had to have the TV on  on the nights DH wouldnt be home, even if I wasnt watching it or anything I had to have that noise, but then it turned into needing when he was home and it'd make DH mad because he couldnt sleep so I worked myself off having it on at night to fall asleep and we completely removed the tv from our room during one of our moves (I'm going to say 2.5 years ago? since our last move was a year ago and the one before that was 1.5 years before) But ya :/ other wise there's really nothing I can think of... I know I've always had SOME trouble waking up to alarms but nothing nearly this bad I was able to, but now I can have various alarms, sounds, etc going off for hours before I wake up. But now its combined with not being able to fall asleep so it makes it that much worse  

Quoting wickedstepjenn: I have terrible insomnia. . I should have been asleep hours ago. I have pain, and then stress. One thing that helps is very odd but I watch law and order special victims unit and I fall asleep. Only thing I can think is my step dad used to watch it all night (he was a musician so he worked till late and had to unwind). He would blast the tv because he couldnt hear from the band etc so I guess it reminds me of him and living at home lol so maybe find something from childhood that is comforting?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)