Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm buying my 3-year-old a tablet for Christmas.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 59 Replies
My family isn't very supportive of my decision, they think he is too young for a tablet. I mainly want it so he can watch his cartoons on netflix and play his games that he's always taking my phone to play. The tablet I'm buying is just a cheap 7 inch tablet for 50 bucks at best buy. And I plan on getting a case for it. Anyways, my point is...I've found that this is a controversial subject after talking to a few of my co-workers. What are your views? Would you buy a tablet for a 3-year-old?
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 12, 2014 at 7:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom-to-2kids
by Sapphire Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 7:49 AM
My 2 year old has an iPad for when we are in the car. So I see nothing wrong with it.
lizzie_ann
by Ruby Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 7:51 AM
I don't see a problem with it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 12, 2014 at 7:51 AM
My three year old has had a Kindle Fire since she was 2.5.

I firmly belive the people who are all against tablets for kids are the people who don't know how to teach their kids to do things in moderation. And honestly? That's way worse than buying a tablet.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Dec. 12, 2014 at 7:52 AM
DS had an iPad at that age. Put it in a sturdy case and it'll be fine.
mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Dec. 12, 2014 at 7:52 AM

Not just no...but, heck no. 

A 3 year old does not need a tablet. My girls did not get tablets until they were reading on their own. My oldest is 9 and got a Nook Tablet last year for Christmas and reads constantly. My 6 year old got her Grandfather's Nook tablet at Thanksgiving as he bought himself an ipad a few months ago and since she is reading on her own, he asked if he could hand it down to her. I honestly see no benefit for a 3 year old to have a tablet since he is not reading.

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 12, 2014 at 7:53 AM

My 2 year old has a Nabi that he uses primarily to watch truck videos. I see nothing wrong with it :)

Rangermom772
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 7:53 AM

My son is 21/2 and loves his.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 12, 2014 at 7:53 AM
1 mom liked this
I got bashed to hell on here for asking about tablets for a 9 year old but giving one to a toddler is fine? Seriously?!
alexsmomaubrys2
by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 7:53 AM

I personally wouldn't buy a tablet for a 3 year old but that is just me. We are buying our almost 9 & 10 year olds tablets this year and it was a huge leap for us but it has a lot to do with homework being online. 

I think at 3 they should be using their imagination and running around, not sitting down playing a screen. That being said, limited time isn't the end of the world. 

carterscutie85
by Queen Bee on Dec. 12, 2014 at 7:54 AM

I got my 5 year old a tablet this year. As long as it's used in recreation and not as a babysitter I think it's fine.

I never had played with a tablet before this but setting up my son's I'm seeing all sorts of cool and educational apps. I think I like it more than he will lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)