Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Genetic or unhealthy?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies
What do you believe causes obesity? A comment was made about my kiddos being thin and our niece being husky. Later alone dh and I were talking and he said he thinks genetics is a huge factor. Unless its an actual health issue or medication required that causes a weight gain I called bs. I'm tall and thin along with my family where dh is tall and thicker along with his family. Now our kids are fed very healthy. Snacks are fresh veggies or fruit and dinner and meals are always leans meats and loads of veggies. No junk food, soda, chips, juice, candy etc. My niece on the other hand eats nothing but junk. She's four so these food choices are made by her parents who are also obese. So my stance was how can dh and I have healthy weight children and our niece not be....not gentetics, lifestyle choice. Dh says yes I do a great job on making sure are kids eats great, but they just must not have gotten his genes. Now I'm curious how many others feel this way?
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 12, 2014 at 7:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 12, 2014 at 7:55 AM

I think some are genitics. My husband is skinny, I am heavy. My 9 year old son is starting to get heavy, my daughter is lean like my husband. They eat the same. Not super healthy, but not junk food and unhealthy. I just think my son is going to take after my uncles who were 6'6" and 6'8" and very heavy. They were HUGE guys. 

alexsmomaubrys2
by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 7:58 AM

It is a combination of both. 

balagan_imma
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 7:59 AM

It can be any combination of things. For some it's genetic, others medical, still others it's poor eating/unhealthy food choice or immense over eating.

One set of my nieces and nephews were skinny little things until puberty. Then they started gaining heavily. The family eats fairly healthy foods, but copious amounts. It's almost as if no food is allowed left once served. And then there are my kids. The older 2 are slim, my youngest is not. All eat the same diet, in fact, my youngest has always been a far more healthy eater. My older ones stayed slim after puberty, and my youngest my slim down, but only time will tell.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 12, 2014 at 8:01 AM

genetics does play a HUGE role in it and a visit to one of the best bariatric doctors in the country agrees.  I grew up in the 70s , in an athletic family .  I was the only one with a weight problem though, even though I lived the same lifestyle as everyone else.  I was not obese, but there was no reason for me to be overweight either.  There IS a fat gene.  My sisters never  had a problem  .  They have never dieted and they do not eat healthy all the time.  They are in their late 40s and still never had a weight issue.   Yes , some people will never have a problem and it does not necessarily mean they eat well or excercise all the time either

Rangermom772
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 8:03 AM

It is a combo. If you have obese parents, the odds are not in your favor. However, there is also personal responsibility. We choose what we put in our mouths.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 12, 2014 at 8:32 AM
Both. My dh and I are small and so are our kids. We eat somewhat healthy, but also love snacks. Everyone is underweight.
OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Dec. 12, 2014 at 8:34 AM

Both. My daughter is my little moose, but she's built exactly like I was at that age, and she eats very healthy. She's a self-decided vegetarian, actually.

Baechlemom2
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 8:38 AM
Sometimes it is genetics but in your nieces case I would say her diet could be, and probably is, the issue.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)