Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

somewhat of a spinoff: bank accounts/budgeting

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies

There was another post about not checking your bank account because the OP's husband had bought a gift and several people commented that they needed to check the balance to see how much they could spend at the grocery store or wherever. 

So my questions are: 
1. Do you not keep a "buffer" in your bank account in case you spend a little extra one month? Our bank account rarely dips below 1k, and when it does it's mostly because of the way dates lined up (like the mortgage coming out the day before getting paid). 

2. Do you not know how much you normally spend per month? We typically spend $x on groceries every month and I know what that looks like, so we just grocery shop as usual without necessarily paying attention to a budget. It all adds up to pretty much the same every month. 

Don't get me wrong we check our bank account and credit card statements almost daily, but it's more in case of fraud or something. We know what we can spend and more or less stick to that without needing to be told. 

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 12, 2014 at 8:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Rangermom772
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 8:57 AM

I transfer a set amount into my checking every Monday. I always know my exact balance. I don't need a buffer, I never go over my weekly amount.

brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Dec. 12, 2014 at 8:57 AM

I admit grocery shopping is my huge weakness. I don't have a budget. I love to cook and get my ingredients daily. So I would need to know my banking total.  However am I the only old person who still writes out my bank ledger???

januaryqueen
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 8:58 AM

We always know where our money is going and how much we have. We keep a slight buffer because dh sometimes receives OT pay and other times, doesn't. We budget as if he won't get it. Just depends how busy they get.

wkukid
by Beach Bum on Dec. 12, 2014 at 8:58 AM
If under some circumstances we were to dip low in the bank account we would just transfer from savings to checking. My wife works in finance so she keeps a pretty tight grip on the number in the bank. I just buy what I need.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 12, 2014 at 8:58 AM
I don't keep much in my bank account. Right now I have $80 I'll have $45 this afternoon. I need to check mine.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 12, 2014 at 8:59 AM

I only keep enough in my checking account to cover what bills are being paid out of that account.

OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Dec. 12, 2014 at 9:01 AM

I'm terribly spoiled and don't keep track of our personal finances, my husband does. I just call him and ask him if I can haz dis. :3

mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Dec. 12, 2014 at 9:31 AM

During the holidays, I use my personal credit card for purchases and Dh uses his...this way, we don't see where the other shops. 

I just transfer money over from savings to pay off the credit cards as we put money into savings every 2 weeks just for gifts. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)