Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When are people responsible for their own actions?

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 8:59 AM
  • 12 Replies

There are a few people believe that parents are forever responsible for how their child acts, because they raised them. So, at what age is a child responsible for their own actions? Assuming their parents have done the best job the can and have tried to raise them to be responsible, mature young adults?

by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 8:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rangermom772
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 9:00 AM
1 mom liked this

I had a long chat with my 11 year old last night about taking more personal responsibility.

imthatgirl0607
by Emerald Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 9:01 AM
1 mom liked this
People are always responsible for their actions....at every age.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 12, 2014 at 9:02 AM
2 moms liked this

It's a complicated issue. Adults are still a product of their environment and it's not always easy to rise above, but at the same time where there's a will there's a way and a shitty upbringing shouldn't be used to keep yourself down. 

notjstasocermom
by Sapphire Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 9:02 AM

Quoting imthatgirl0607: People are always responsible for their actions....at every age.
Rangermom772
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 9:03 AM

I disagree. If a four year old is fat, that is on mom and dad completely.

Quoting imthatgirl0607: People are always responsible for their actions....at every age.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 12, 2014 at 9:03 AM
So at one, you're responsible for your actions?

bigmouthbabe
by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 9:04 AM
When they are out on their own and responsible solely for themselves financially and all ways. They still have the influence over their parents and are going to behave how they were taught to some degree. Not always the case, but I think so often parents have failed their children and it shows by their behavior. They don't want to take responsibility for it, but people around them can see its them even if they cannot or will not.
imthatgirl0607
by Emerald Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 9:04 AM
A 4yo doesnt decide what he eats, so thats not his action.

If he smacks his sister, hes responsible.

Quoting Rangermom772:

I disagree. If a four year old is fat, that is on mom and dad completely.

OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Dec. 12, 2014 at 9:04 AM

I think by age 5 or so you better hope you have instilled in them some good groundwork because they start becoming their own person then. By age 10 it's too frickin' late.

brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Dec. 12, 2014 at 9:07 AM

I feel an adult is responsible for their own actions and must face any consequences that come from them. However I also strongly believe that adults are the products of their childhood. It is when we learn skills in coping with stress, problem solving abilities and communication  skills. these can be relearned but its extremely hard to change once set into a pattern. and in times of emotional upheaval we tend to fall back on the behaviors we are comfortable with. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)