Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Regarding responsbilities vs. leisure time/social events

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 10:14 AM
  • 5 Replies

So I used to be very active especially in church. I sang in the choir, I taught, helped with events, etc.... I also showed up to most any event that occurred with friends and family. However, I now am married with two children. I rarely show up to any social event. I'm perfectly fine with that. I do see other moms that I'm friends with on FB and such who seem to be at a social gathering every other day and who seem to go shopping (for fun) a lot and stuff like that.. I, personally, just don't feel that my schedule allows for all that without something being neglected. During the week, I work all day, come home to cook a meal, spend an hour at the table during homework time, make sure the kids are bathed and in bed by 8:30. I also keep a pretty much perfectly clean and organized home. During the weekends, I do my heavy duty cleaning, grocery shopping, and whatever else may be necessary for school or our home. I do make it to church on  Sunday morning. I also use whatever spare weekend time I have to bake some with the kids, watch a movie with them, go to the park or something along those lines. I am happy with our lifestyle. We have a lovely home, happy, healthy kids, and we are blessed. I do wonder, sometimes, how other moms seem to always be out "playing". Do they just not cook/clean? Do they have hired help to handle that stuff? Do they stay up late catching up? Or does it get done at all?

If you are very socially active or spend a lot of time on leisure, where does your time come from? I feel that there is always something that needs to be done.

by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 10:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Dec. 12, 2014 at 10:33 AM

I don't go out because I don't have the time and neither does my BFF.. 

I homeschool, make all the meals/errands/housework, and then all 4 of us take Karate..we have classes M-T-Th- Fr-Sat....then on Sundays I work in the Children's Ministry on Wednesdays and Sundays ( the girls also have Children's choir on Sunday evenings). My BFF's husband works one week on and one week off and she is a teacher so she has very little time to go out as well. Some of my friends go out and they do not have outside help..they get it all done even while working, ECA, etc..

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

amje
by Maynard's Bitch on Dec. 12, 2014 at 10:39 AM
There IS always something to be done! But quality family time reasonably often is very important. My DH and children all pitch in --according to age/ability-- so that we can have family time. The children know that if mom and dad have to do all the work then there's no time left over for family fun.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 12, 2014 at 10:42 AM

I work from home and set my own schedule so I can be as social as I want to be.  Sometimes work is so busy I can't, but that rarely happens.

januaryqueen
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 10:54 AM
My kids help out too. it helps. Just not enough to free up any significant time.

Quoting amje: There IS always something to be done! But quality family time reasonably often is very important. My DH and children all pitch in --according to age/ability-- so that we can have family time. The children know that if mom and dad have to do all the work then there's no time left over for family fun.
amje
by Maynard's Bitch on Dec. 12, 2014 at 1:54 PM
I understand where you're coming from. TRULY! We were there once. We found out that we weren't giving our kids enough credit for their abilities and intelligence, increased their responsibilities and adjusted allowance accordingly, discovered the joys of the crock pot, etc. We just decided this was a very important goal and MADE it happen. We really didn't think it was possible b/c of how overloaded all our plates seemed to be. Nothing had to give in the process; no backlog of laundry or cleaning occurred, no sliding grades, etc. Good luck!

Quoting januaryqueen: My kids help out too. it helps. Just not enough to free up any significant time.

Quoting amje: There IS always something to be done! But quality family time reasonably often is very important. My DH and children all pitch in --according to age/ability-- so that we can have family time. The children know that if mom and dad have to do all the work then there's no time left over for family fun.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)