Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am in love and he asked me to marry him (here is why it is going to be an issue)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 49 Replies

I just got back from Australia. I was working there for a year on a internship in Sydney. I met a man there. He is a roofer. He is really cute and really sweet and a really good and caring person. Here is the thing. He is Muslim and his parents are originally from Lebanon but he was born and raised in Australia and I am christian, southern baptist to be exact.

He asked me to marry him as we have dated for 8 months. He wants me to move back to Australia with my 6 year old daughter because he owns a roofing business in Sydney, Australia. I parents are devout Christians. They are going to go through the roof. The only person who knows that he is Muslim (everyone knows I have been dating him btw) said that it is never going to work out that our religious views will get in the way unless I convert. He said I didn't have to convert as being Muslim is not a big part of his life.

Any advice? Does anyone know of a story were a Christian and Muslim were able to be together and make it?

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 12, 2014 at 10:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 12, 2014 at 10:44 AM

YOU do what makes YOU happy. This possible marriage is between you and him not anyone else. 

MamAshley4
by President on Dec. 12, 2014 at 10:44 AM
Pray long and hard. God will give you your answer
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 12, 2014 at 10:45 AM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't have got romantically involved knowing he was a Muslim, just to different of beliefs. Nothing for ya.

ThisCrazyLife00
by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 10:45 AM
Why would you invest time in a serious relationship if you knew he is Muslim and you don't think you two could marry?
AvantGardener
by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 10:46 AM
8 months isn't long enough to know imo
MelDyann
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 10:47 AM
2 moms liked this
I'm Christian and attend church regularly; my husband is Muslim. We respect each others religions and are very happy, so it is possible.

I will say that it all depends on how connected he is to the Muslim community and how is parents feel. The peer pressure can be overwhelming.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 12, 2014 at 10:48 AM

Quoting ThisCrazyLife00: Why would you invest time in a serious relationship if you knew he is Muslim and you don't think you two could marry?

Never once in my post did I say I didnt think we could get married. I said yes to him. I just said "here is why its going to be an issue"

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 12, 2014 at 10:50 AM

Quoting MelDyann: I'm Christian and attend church regularly; my husband is Muslim. We respect each others religions and are very happy, so it is possible. I will say that it all depends on how connected he is to the Muslim community and how is parents feel. The peer pressure can be overwhelming.

He hasnt  been a practiced muslim since he was under his parents roof. Which was when he was 17. He is 33 now.

amje
by Maynard's Bitch on Dec. 12, 2014 at 10:51 AM
I know of people who have overcome much bigger obstacles than that for love and who succeded in being in happy, loving relationdhips to this day
MelDyann
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 10:51 AM
One thing that would concern me, is what would happen to your children if you were to divorce? Would you be able to move and bring them back to the USA? How do you feel about permanently living in Australia?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)