Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it unreasonable to want my 4 year old to open her gifts on Christmas MORNING?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 188 Replies
1 mom liked this

For the first time this year me, DH and the children, a baby and a 4 year old are spending xmas with DH's family. We are staying over at his brother and sils and their twin 7 year olds.

I was looking forward to this until I was told that in DH's family they never open xmas presents immediately on waking. In fact DH used to have to wait until after Xmas dinner but apparently now the practice is his brother's kids get up in the morning but the present opening doesn't start until everyone arrives at the house. On this occasion various other bits of DH's family are due to come.

Bear in mind that my DD always gets up at 6 and not everyone will arrive til around 12. That is 6 hours of her hanging around waiting for her xmas presents! I just think it's mean and it will be so disappointing for a child to be full of anticipation for Xmas morning to be told to wait for all the adults to arrive - so we can have a 'nice' sedate present opening ritual.

At my house, the kids always got up first thing and it was merry chaos as presents were opened. The adults did theirs later. Plus DD has for her life so far had her presents first thing.

I really think this is mean and pointless but there is nothing I can do as we are at someone elses house. Have had a huge row with DH about it as think it's cruel. She's only 4 FFS and the belief in Santa will be over all too soon.

What do you think? 

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
drowningmama
by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:09 AM
2 moms liked this
We have a dairy farm. My kids have to wait until the milking and the feeding is done to open their gifts. This is also how I was when I was growing up. It taught me patience.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
imthatgirl0607
by Emerald Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:09 AM
7 moms liked this

You're a guest in their house, so you should do christmas their way.

If it bothers you then have xmas at your house the day before. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:10 AM
4 moms liked this

I think it's sucky.  If it were me I would allow her to open her Santa gift and stocking, or open something to play with.  I wouldn't make her just wait, but maybe she could wait to open the bulk of the gifts.

PPCLC
by AZ Lizard on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:10 AM
3 moms liked this

Since you will be at the home of someone else, I believe you should follow their customs and traditions and in this way, your child can also learn the differences.

happykitty316
by Ruby Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:13 AM

We farm as well.  Our kids see what Santa brought (one unwrapped gift) and open their stocking, we go over and feed, come home for breakfast, then open their presents.  Curbs the anticipation that way.

Quoting drowningmama: We have a dairy farm. My kids have to wait until the milking and the feeding is done to open their gifts. This is also how I was when I was growing up. It taught me patience.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:13 AM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't go then. That's a terrible tradition.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:13 AM
1 mom liked this
Can she have her stocking right away? If so, just make sure it has enough in there to keep her occupied until it's time to open presents.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:15 AM

I agree.  DH wants to go.

Quoting Anonymous 3: I wouldn't go then. That's a terrible tradition.

AvantGardener
by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:15 AM

We do some on Christmas Eve and some on Christmas so it wouldn't be a big deal for us. I think when you are a guest in someone's home you do as they do.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:16 AM

She will have a stocking but still...

Quoting Anonymous 4: Can she have her stocking right away? If so, just make sure it has enough in there to keep her occupied until it's time to open presents.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)