Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Service Animals

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 98 Replies

I have a friend who has epilepsy.  She was issued a service rat to warn her about her seizures so that she will have time to prepare.  

She went to a resturaunt last year with the rat on her shoulder.  He was wearing his service uniform like he always does when he is working and the resturaunt told her to either lose the rat or leave the place.

Now, I understand resturaunt protocol and all but I also understand that service pets are allowed anywhere people are.

So after my friend was still kicked out because of her medical need, she was pushed by my mother to file a lawsuit.  Which she won and was rewarded a lovely compensation fee.

I hear some people telling me and my friend that she should not have sued and since she did sue, she should have lost?  These people then continue by saying that all resturaunts have the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason.  When I hear this, I can't help but think, "If my friend had been refused service due to race, people would all be up in arms about the suit" so why is it that people are so angry that ADA is also a valid reason to sue?

Seriously.  The rat was not a loose animal around the place.  They sat very nicely on their shoulder to alert her if anything should feel "off" to their tender nerves.  The rat was helping with a disability.  The rat was a medical need.

When I went to the Hoover Dam, they asked me to throw away my peanut butter when it was in my back pack until they found out I was pregnant and let me bring it in becaue it was a medical need.  That's what this rat was, people.  A medical need.

So what's the issue, people?  Is racial discrimination something valid but discrimination over a disability is not?  I really want to know.

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DW030714
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:30 AM
1 mom liked this

I love rats. Do you have a pic of it in it's uniform? :)

1mommy613
by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:31 AM
Ummmmm. That's a little hard to believe, considering most service animals are dogs.. Who does rats??
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:38 AM

That was what I said when I met the person.  We met at B&N and the little guy was on her shoulder.  I asked what he was doing in the store (I saw the harness over his shoulder and so I knew it was a service animal).  She then told me he was a seizure rat and she had him issued due to a dog allergy or whatever.  He sits on her shoulder and tenses his little claws to alert her that it feels a seizure possible.  This gives her time to step away and prepare.

Quoting 1mommy613: Ummmmm. That's a little hard to believe, considering most service animals are dogs.. Who does rats??

drowningmama
by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:40 AM
Huh?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:41 AM

Sadly no.  The only photos I have of this little guy are on her shoulder and she has requested that there be no photos of her posted.  I don't have an editing program on my computer so sorry.

Quoting DW030714:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:47 AM
1 mom liked this

I work at a restaurant and I don't think my manager would be ok with someone bringing a rat in, service animal or not.

DW030714
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Aww ok. We'd pick a service rat over a dog in our family :)

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Sadly no.  The only photos I have of this little guy are on her shoulder and she has requested that there be no photos of her posted.  I don't have an editing program on my computer so sorry.

Quoting DW030714:

1mommy613
by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:52 AM
I have a dog for mine..

Quoting Anonymous 1:

That was what I said when I met the person.  We met at B&N and the little guy was on her shoulder.  I asked what he was doing in the store (I saw the harness over his shoulder and so I knew it was a service animal).  She then told me he was a seizure rat and she had him issued due to a dog allergy or whatever.  He sits on her shoulder and tenses his little claws to alert her that it feels a seizure possible.  This gives her time to step away and prepare.

Quoting 1mommy613: Ummmmm. That's a little hard to believe, considering most service animals are dogs.. Who does rats??

SunshneDaydream
by Ruby Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:53 AM
1 mom liked this
I think she had every right to sue (although I don't generally agree with lawsuits...going to the press and giving the restaurant some bad publicity would have been more appropriate). Service animals are an exception to the right to refuse service, and no one would have refused her had it been a dog.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)