Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Reoccurring Sinus Infection

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 21 Replies

About 2.5 months ago I took 2 rounds of antibiotics (for about 3 weeks) as part of getting a root canal. While on the antibiotics I got the flu and since then I just can't seem to shake these sinus issues. I'll have a sore throat, awful tasting/smelling mucus, and stuffiness. It will go away for a day or two them come back. I don't want to go to the doctor if I don't have to. Is there anything I can do to stop this cycle? 

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 12, 2014 at 12:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pinktardis
by Pinky on Dec. 12, 2014 at 12:34 PM
Have you tried Afrin nasal spray or muscinex?
wkukid
by Beach Bum on Dec. 12, 2014 at 12:36 PM
Use a Neti pot. Seriously I had about 6 a year and now I have one in the spring.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 12, 2014 at 12:40 PM

Sounds like you have some form of  an infection.  I get one a year, and I try everything to shake it.  Usually I have to give in and get antibiotics.  

Try a neti pot several times a day.  Rinse the crud out of your sinus'.  Eat lots of garlic, use ibuprofen and sit in steam .  Chiropractic to get the sinus' to drain.  

balagan_imma
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 12:44 PM

I hate nasal washes but they really help. I've heard that neti pots are great. I haven't used one yet.

I love Xylitol nasal sprays. You can get one with extract of grapefruit seed, which acts like an antibiotic. Or you can get the plain nasal spray. Personally, I'd stay away from products like Afrin.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 12, 2014 at 12:45 PM

I've used muscinex which gets rid of it but then it just comes back a few days later.

Quoting pinktardis: Have you tried Afrin nasal spray or muscinex?

sugareemommee
by Ruby Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 12:49 PM
Neti pot.
Steam your head over a pot of water.
Sounds weird but take garlic cloves like pills, it's a natural antibiotic.
Hot tea and honey, hot soup, the warmth helps break up mucus in your chest.
Humming releases something in your face that helps clear your sinuses.
Put pressure with your hands on your face where you have pain or pressure.
pinktardis
by Pinky on Dec. 12, 2014 at 12:51 PM
I had a horrible sinus infection and the Doctor recommended Afrin, it was the only thing that worked. I also use a neti pot but it didn't help that one particular time, the infection was too severe.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

I've used muscinex which gets rid of it but then it just comes back a few days later.

Quoting pinktardis: Have you tried Afrin nasal spray or muscinex?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 12, 2014 at 12:52 PM

It has been awhile since I've been to the chiropractor. It's definitely needed I can feel my neck is misaligned. I think I will call to get that set up for next week.

I've never used a neti pot before it looks kind of odd...but several have said it so I guess I'll be picking one up.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Sounds like you have some form of  an infection.  I get one a year, and I try everything to shake it.  Usually I have to give in and get antibiotics.  

Try a neti pot several times a day.  Rinse the crud out of your sinus'.  Eat lots of garlic, use ibuprofen and sit in steam .  Chiropractic to get the sinus' to drain.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 12, 2014 at 12:59 PM

I LOVE mine.  It feels weird, but the green snot that comes out (sorry for the TMI) is incredible.  Then the snot will loosen up (the hardened infected) as you repeat uses.  Make sure you clean it after each usage in hot water.  

The chiro - the sooner the better.  Your ears and head will drain quicker.  See if he/she will massage your sinus' to get them to drain.  There are pressure points under the eyes, base of the nose (both sides - rub outward).  I notice by the time I leave I am choking on the drainage that was stuck.  Well worth the call.  

Quoting Anonymous 1:

It has been awhile since I've been to the chiropractor. It's definitely needed I can feel my neck is misaligned. I think I will call to get that set up for next week.

I've never used a neti pot before it looks kind of odd...but several have said it so I guess I'll be picking one up.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

lancet98
by Ruby Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 12:59 PM

Yes.

First, if you have head ache, dizziness,pain radiating into your head(including eyebrows or cheeks), or other serious symptoms, you do need to go to the doctor.  If it's not serious, you may be able to treat it at home.

First you need to get hydrated.   Drink extra fluids (preferably water), and take an expectorant like mucinex, and keep taking it, as directed.  Use saline nasal spray, like Ocean, frequently, to try to shrink the nasal tissue so your sinuses can drain.

Don't use decongestants or the usual 'cold remedies'. Don't use steroid nasal sprays - most nasal sprays other than plain saline products (like 'Ocean' or store brands that copy it) contain steroids.  Don't use them.  Read ingredients carefully before selecting products.  

Use the mucinex, saline nasal sprays.  Drink lots of fluids.  Keep at it even if it doesn't seem to be working really well.

Try to clean up any dust in your environment, and if you have to do dusty jobs(including dusting), put on a cheap dust mask, like those little white ones sold in hardware stores.   Wash your blankets and sheets and pillowcases often, and shake out throw rugs (again, wear a dust mask).   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)