Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What kind of and how enforced are your rules for school attire?

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 12:32 PM
  • 30 Replies

DH is starting to have an issue with SD in the mornings... she just turned 7.

I struggle with going back and forth between 'let them be them' and 'don't fight that battle' with what to wear to school.... and wanting them to look like normal children who aren't neglected and only own three shirts.

SD has like 4 favorite tops and 3 pairs of jeans that are her go-to clothes to put on.. and I must make mention that this child has a TONS AND TONS of clothes... her closet, dresser, and huge plastic shelves in her room are FULL of beautiful tops, sweaters, stuff that Grandma (needlessly) buys on sale, etc. She never wears ANY of it. It should be donated. I'd get killed for doing so if MIL ever found out though.

She refuses to wear dresses at all, number one.

Meh. I hated em too at that age and was a total tomboy.. still don't wear em in adulthood. Ever.

But it goes beyond that... I do her laundry on Saturday mornings, and if she wears all of her favorites, she wants to go in the dirty laundry to recycle one out before the weeks end.... I'm like, no. You have a ton of other clean crap, put something else on. Notice I'm not dictating WHAT she puts on, only requiring that it be clean.

Now it's gotten to the point that she wants to wear T shirts and shorts (hello...it's 25 degrees outside with a foot of snow on the ground) and has a screaming tantrum (complete with kicking the door, throwing crap around in her room, and the like) until DH finally relents and lets her wear whatever the fuck she wants.

I've had enough of the daily struggle, and I'd rather not argue about this sort of thing at all. When I grew up, my mother would lay my outfit out the night before and I'll be damned if I'd ever argue about it. I wore it because I was told to, and that was that.

I don't run AS tight of a ship 35 years later, but I also don't want the attitude that she rules the roost and whatever she says goes.. which is how it's becoming with this and other small issues.. like a constant power struggle.

So, what's a reasonable set of rules for morning dress that won't make me feel like Ivan the Terrible but that I can send her to school without feeling like she looks like a ragamuffin? Not wearing dresses is acceptable to me, but wearing dirty clothing is not, and I'm NOT doing extra or more frequent loads of laundry to accommodate her nonsense.

I'm going to make a list on a nice sheet of poster board and decorate it, then post it on the wall of her room as a reminder. So suggestions or similar experiences please?

by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 12:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Dec. 12, 2014 at 12:34 PM
2 moms liked this
DS goes to a private religious school, he wears khakis and a polo shirt everyday.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 12, 2014 at 12:36 PM
1 mom liked this

ahhhhh the joys of uniforms lol 

fullxbusymom
by Sapphire Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 12:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Sorry, I lay my kids clothes out at night they wear them in the morning.  They don't argue the fact. 

Momeficient
by Gold Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 12:36 PM
My daughter wears a uniform. Here's a bump.
KendallsMommee
by Spoiled SAHM on Dec. 12, 2014 at 12:37 PM
Uniforms here! Yay!
plprincess78
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 12:37 PM
1 mom liked this

My kids have to wear school uniforms that consist of Khaki's and a Polo shirt.  That they can put a solid color long sleeve underneath if they want.

In your case....I'd pick out 2 or 3 outfits the night before and have her decide which of those she wants to wear the next day.  That way she gets the choice of what she wants and you get the knowledge that she'd dressed appropriately for the weather.

AvantGardener
by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 12:37 PM

No holes, no stains, and you can't wear the same dress, outfit, or shirt in the same week. My kids are 6 and 4, so far it's worked.

Bigmetalchicken
by Emerald Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 12:39 PM

Our school uniform code is VERY inforced. I honestly love it, because it takes all the stress out of getting ready in the mornings.

Khakis or dress pants, belt that matches shoes, plain, single color shirt with school crest on it, jacket with school crest. boom. Done.

jujubear1
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 12:40 PM
1 mom liked this
I'd remove summer clothes from her closet and dresser...out of sight, juror mind...hopefully. I'd look through the other clothes to ser if there were some similar to her faves. I lay out dd's clothes the night before and very rarely does she have a problem, but she dresses modestly and for the weather on her own anyway.
KelliansMom
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 12:42 PM
1 mom liked this

If I dont take out all the summer cloths my son would wear them all winter.  But other then us doing that I dont really fuss over what my son wears , it just has to follow the school dress code. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)