Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm not your psychiatrist

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 39 Replies
I have a "friend" that only calls and comes around when she has problems in her relationship. I'm tired of it. I feel used. How would you handle a situation like this?
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 12, 2014 at 12:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 12, 2014 at 12:49 PM
I'd ignore her
vegaswife2011
by LMAO on Dec. 12, 2014 at 12:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Gee, maybe she thinks you're a good listener. You know, like friends tend to be...

MissLeelee24
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 12:50 PM
I would phase them out little by little if it bothered you. A friendship goes both ways not only towards one person.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 12, 2014 at 12:53 PM
So you only call your friends when you have a problem because that is what's going on here. None of her calls are made to see how I'm doing only to complain about him. Is that fair to you?

Quoting vegaswife2011:

Gee, maybe she thinks you're a good listener. You know, like friends tend to be...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 12, 2014 at 12:54 PM
It has been one-sided for quite some time now.

Quoting MissLeelee24: I would phase them out little by little if it bothered you. A friendship goes both ways not only towards one person.
CorpCityGrl
by Ruby Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 12:55 PM

If she makes no effort at all outside of when she has a problem, I would say something to her. I had a friend like that who seemed to like to pump me with info. about counseling sessions (DH and I were going to counseling both individually and together) and what kind of advice and complain about their issues. I started realizing that I was their FREE counselor and I was not okay with that. I said something and got many excuses and then started phasing them out of my life. 

I'm ALWAYS here to help out a friend and be an ear, but I'm more than just an ear or a free therapist.

vegaswife2011
by LMAO on Dec. 12, 2014 at 12:56 PM

No I dont. Have you told her how you feel? That you think this is a one sided friendship? 

Quoting Anonymous 1: So you only call your friends when you have a problem because that is what's going on here. None of her calls are made to see how I'm doing only to complain about him. Is that fair to you?
Quoting vegaswife2011:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 12, 2014 at 12:57 PM

I had a friend like that. It was especially uncomfortable for me because her boyfriend is dh's very best friend and has been since they were like 8. I just stopped being available when I knew it had something to do with her and her bf.

mehaffiesub
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 1:00 PM
I'd tell her that I'm not her free thereapist and if she wants a friend she needs to be one too.
Amiehart62
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 1:03 PM
2 moms liked this
Psychologist. You're not her psychologist. And tell her her medical may cove one if she needs.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)