Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

bruised esophagus? Hurts!!! @ ER now

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 53 Replies
So, yesterday I was eating an orange when my daughter did something. I took a breath in to speak to her, and swallowed so I could talk all at once. I swallowed an air bubble with the orange slice. HURT LIKE HELL!! And felt like it kinda got stuck, and I had to choose to either swallow the air bubble or vomit. I swallowed and it hurt all the way down, pain lasting a few seconds, especially in the spot it was "stuck".

Now, I've done this before. I actually swallow air fairly often, maybe once a month? I've never thought much of it, because it hurt for a second and is gone, nbd. I thought everyone did that. This one, because of the spot it got stuck at, hurt and continued discomfort, so I mentioned it offhandedly to two people. Both had NO IDEA what I was talking about when I mentioned "know how when you swallow air on accident and it hurts?" Huh. Didn't know that wasn't something that happens to everyone.

Anyway, it still hurts today, and is hurting more the more I talk, swallow, etc. I can feel pain if I move my neck, or touch around that "spot". It honestly feels like the bubble, when it got stuck, kinda blew and stretched out my esophagus. Now it's like it's sore, bruised and maybe like, a little stretched and weak?

I'm drinking warm tea and taking OTC pain meds.

Advice?
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 12, 2014 at 1:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 12, 2014 at 1:06 PM
Ohmygodbump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 12, 2014 at 1:07 PM
1 mom liked this

See an Endocrinologist and have your thyroid checked. That is not a normal thing. Maybe your thyroid is enlarged. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 12, 2014 at 1:17 PM
I've had my thyroid checked before, not related to this and I don't have any issues with my thyroid.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

See an Endocrinologist and have your thyroid checked. That is not a normal thing. Maybe your thyroid is enlarged. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 12, 2014 at 1:39 PM
Bump!!!
celestegood
by Ruby Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 1:41 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kee1006b
by Gold Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 1:42 PM

Go o an ent, this isn't normal

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 12, 2014 at 1:42 PM
Thank you!!!

Quoting celestegood: Bump
donnag013
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 1:44 PM

You may have inhaled a piece of orange into your airway, an that's why it hurts. Swallowing air is actually normal, and should not hurt, but if you inhaled a piec of something it would. Next time, throw it up, whatever it is. If you continue to feel bad, see your doc because you may get an infection

celestegood
by Ruby Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 1:45 PM
I wish I could help. Hugs and good luck :)

Quoting Anonymous 1: Thank you!!!

Quoting celestegood: Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 12, 2014 at 1:46 PM
Really? This is so freaking weird that it isn't kinda. I honestly had NO IDEA that not everyone swallowed air. I honestly wouldn't have ever known if it weren't for this sore spot.

Now, the even more ridiculous thing: can I schedule to see an ent in the next day or two, for this pain or for the air swallowing and doesn't matter if it takes a few weeks to get in?

I don't have a doctor. Completely my fault. I'm insured, and after I had my baby two years ago our insurance changed and I never got around to finding a new primary.

Quoting kee1006b:

Go o an ent, this isn't normal

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)