Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Traditional Gender Roles...We're really f***ing our daughters up!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 58 Replies
3 moms liked this

I have a very conservative friend.  Her and her daughters cook, clean, and take care of the babies.  Her sons fix things, go out with dad to cut trees down and do "men" things.  

She informed me that my daughters are going to grow up "confused because you are not teaching them their proper roles in this world."

My dh is a chef, he works for a doctor's family by doing their grocery shopping, cooking their meals daily and making sure their freezer is stocked with meals that they can simply heat and go when he's not there to do it for them.  

I'm a warehouse manager.

Our daughter's know how to change flat tires, change the oil in the cars, they know how to pump their own gas, they know how to mow the lawn, they know the basics of small engine repairs, they know how to bake a pie or cake, they can prepare whole, healthy meals on their own, they clean their rooms, the bathrooms and they do laundry.  

My dh taught them all about cooking and all of the "male" jobs on that list.  I taught them how to do the laundry, since they watch me do it at home and my dh and I both do the cleaning at our house, they learned to be neat and clean from both of us.  

How is that "confusing" our daughters?  I think they are well-rounded and can take care of themselves.  They do not require anyone but themselves to get things done.  They've learned that marriage is a team "sport" and that mom and dad are equal partners and always have been.  

So, long story not-so-short, her and I are not really speaking at the moment since I have no tolerance for people who want to judge me or my family.  

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 12, 2014 at 2:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 12, 2014 at 2:14 PM

BUMP!

lollip0p
by Ruby Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 2:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I've bought a toy tool set for my dd for Christmas.  Not a 'girly' pink set either, a proper realistic looking one. She's gonna love it :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 12, 2014 at 2:20 PM
1 mom liked this

love!  mine both had real tool boxes too!

Quoting lollip0p:

I've bought a toy tool set for my dd for Christmas.  Not a 'girly' pink set either, a proper realistic looking one. She's gonna love it :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 12, 2014 at 2:21 PM
She'd love my daughter. She says there are boy colors and girl colors, boy toys and girl toys, boy this and girl that.
Drives me batty.
My dad will say his favorite color is purple and my kid will be like no it's not, purple is a GIRL color, you're a BOY. You can only like BOY colors.
My husband will be acting silly and put on youngest daughter's headband, and my daughter will be tell him you're a girl now, only girls wear that.
Right now she's on this thing where only boys can scare people and be creepy. Girls can't scare people or be creepy. She has this thing where she sees a kid she doesn't know at the store and she'll put on this super creepy smile, yell HI MY FRIEND!! And then not leave the poor kid alone. I keep telling her not to scare the kids and to leave them alone. Oh mommy, don't be silly, girls can't scare people.
ugh. Lol
armytriplets
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 2:23 PM
I believe in gender roles AND being self sufficient.
Shadowed_Star
by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 2:23 PM
I really need dh to teach me to change a tire.

It is my biggest fear. But he almost never has the time.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 12, 2014 at 2:23 PM
Some people like the traditional roles. It's not for me to judge.
Jenniy
by Ruby Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 2:23 PM

My DD decapitated Barbies and loved her toy tool set and grill.  DS1 hated "boy" toys and LOVED his toy kitchen. 

My ex didn't know how to change a tire, his oil, or even his windshield wiper blades.... I knew how, but he didn't.

ZombieMeat37
by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 2:23 PM
1 mom liked this
We are raising our daughter to be self sufficient.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 12, 2014 at 2:23 PM
No...you're teaching your girls to survive.

I lived alone for 4 years (not counting college) before moving with SO. Those skills are important to have. As are cooking, cleaning, and basic sewing skills for guys.

It isn't 1950, not everyone goes from their parents house to married life.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)