Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My baby is having withdrawals!! :(

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 2:26 PM
  • 5 Replies
My dd turns 2 in January. I've nurses her from day 1. She has never had a bottle and is a booby fiend!
I have said from day 1 that I will not nurse a 2 yo. So, we've been talking about how she is too big for booby for a while now. Last weekend we took dd to walmart to pick a new sippy cup out. We told her that, from now on, she will use her fancy new cup instead of booby. That night, she went to bed just fine with out nursing!
It's now been a full week, and the poor kiddo is jonsing! She will climb up behind me and try to grab my boob. I'm sure it's empty now. I tell her the milk is gone but she pleads and begs. I surely don't want her suckling in an pty boob just for comfort so I've held my bottom line. The poor kiddo is distraught! Breaks my heart! She seriously reminds me of an addict With the amount if desperation she displays!
How long does it typically take for them to stop wanting to nurse? Any suggestions on helping her cope? Tricks that have helped you?
As for the sippy cup, she has a sip before she sleeps but does not take it in the crib.
by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 2:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 12, 2014 at 2:29 PM
I think it is the same as taking away a pacifier. Give her another week, she'll be fine.
Rangermom772
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 2:32 PM

I cut my guy if the week before he turned two. I just made sure to stay very well covered in front of him. Turtlenecks. He cried a few minutes at bedtime, but nothing major.

i was expected him to flip out, he was such an addict.

ms_amanda
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 2:37 PM
Yeah, I have to admit, she's doing better then I expected her to! She called my "booby" for a few months in her early toddlerhood! lol She is a complete boob junky!
Bed times are rough though. She used to nurse to calm down. I've replaced nursing with more reading but it's not winding her down at the same pace as nursing! It takes me 40-1hr to get her down. She is fully potty trained and asks for potty at least 6 times before she goes to sleep! Argh! I'm a sucker, I know, but I don't want her to land up having an accident so I comply. I never had this issue when she nurses...

Quoting Rangermom772:

I cut my guy if the week before he turned two. I just made sure to stay very well covered in front of him. Turtlenecks. He cried a few minutes at bedtime, but nothing major.

Rangermom772
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 3:05 PM

I rubbed his back while he fell asleep.

Quoting ms_amanda: Yeah, I have to admit, she's doing better then I expected her to! She called my "booby" for a few months in her early toddlerhood! lol She is a complete boob junky! Bed times are rough though. She used to nurse to calm down. I've replaced nursing with more reading but it's not winding her down at the same pace as nursing! It takes me 40-1hr to get her down. She is fully potty trained and asks for potty at least 6 times before she goes to sleep! Argh! I'm a sucker, I know, but I don't want her to land up having an accident so I comply. I never had this issue when she nurses...
Quoting Rangermom772:

Careeka22
by Caitlin on Dec. 12, 2014 at 3:09 PM

Sorry I can imagine if I tried at 2 my DD would have been the same way. It was easier for me because I was pregnant and it just dried up. She was 2.5 then. She still asked a few times after that but once her sister got here she could care less. Just give it some time, she will get better but it's like taking away a comfort item. She has to find something else to fill the void.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)