Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would this be tacky?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 42 Replies

My kids want to have a combined birthday party.  There are three of them.  They don't want presents or friends invited....just family.  They want to go out to eat at a steakhouse.  There is no way we can pay for our entire family to come have steak.  Since we are asking for no gifts..would it be tacky to expect everyone to pay their own way?  We would do appetizers and cake. 

Otherwise we will just hit the local pizza place where we can afford to cover everyone.

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 12, 2014 at 2:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 12, 2014 at 3:03 PM

bump

littlepinkrose
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 3:04 PM

No, just make sure to state it in the invite.  Say, we are having the party at a steakhouse appetizers and cake will be provided.  Anything you choose off the menu will be your responsibility to pay.  Unless you are loaded I would not expect for a party at a steakhouse to be catered.

DisabledVet
by Ruby Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 3:05 PM

Ask them if they're willing.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 12, 2014 at 3:06 PM

Quoting littlepinkrose:

No, just make sure to state it in the invite.  Say, we are having the party at a steakhouse appetizers and cake will be provided.  Anything you choose off the menu will be your responsibility to pay.  Unless you are loaded I would not expect for a party at a steakhouse to be catered.

The kids love this place.  It is their favorite place.  They also love family.  All of their birthdays are right around Christmas so they would prefer to have the family there over gifts.

BibliophileMom
by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 3:06 PM
That's just the norm in our family..although we normally do that for adults birthdays. And it's always just a casual telephone invite, no pressure.
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Dec. 12, 2014 at 3:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes it's tacky. If you invite people out then you pay.

amje
by Maynard's Bitch on Dec. 12, 2014 at 3:08 PM
Who cares if it's tacky? It's what the kids want that counts; it's their combined-birthday. Doesn't sound like they want to eat at a local pizza place at all. The whole extended family should want the kids to have what they want for their birthdays. Anyone who has something negative to say is a selfish jerk, and why should you buy the whole family dinner whether it's steak or pizza? They all have birthdays at the same time, too?
Rangermom772
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 3:08 PM

I would have no problem since a gift is not expected.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 12, 2014 at 3:08 PM

It's tacky.  I would do the the immediate family for the steakhouse and invite the extended family to your home for cake and pizza another time.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 12, 2014 at 3:10 PM
I think if you ask first it's fine, but it depends on your family.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)