Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can't afford xmas 😞

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies
I see many posts around this time, parents not able to afford xmas presents for their kids.
I have been a stay at home mom for 8 years. My husband lost his job 4 months ago, he just started back at work a week ago clear across the US from us.
With saying all that, my kids will still have a Christmas. Yes we have had to use our savings to get by these last few months for bill, no assistance at all. Never even applied for any type. We always have been very conservative with our money and saved when we could over the past 10 years. Im thankful to have the savings to fall back on. Granted we have to start all over again, but knowing we were still able to pay our bills and keep the struggles to ourself without the kids knowing i was happy about.
Are they going to have the xmas they are use too, no. But they will have a Christmas just the same.
It comes every year guys. Even putting 10-20 away every month. Savings your change. You can still get your kids something.
I get frustrated seeing all the help me, pity me, i cant get my kids something for xmas.
Things happeb, trust me i know. It happened to us. Our kids will still have something to open regardless
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 12, 2014 at 3:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 12, 2014 at 3:50 PM
agreed
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 12, 2014 at 3:52 PM
Thanks 😊

Quoting Anonymous 2: agreed
Lawless85
by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 4:01 PM
1 mom liked this
I have been in the position of not being able to do anything at all. I asked for help, it wasn't for pity. Nothing was for me, it was all for my kids. Because of folks that don't think all we want are hand outs my kids had a great christmas. We were given everything tree, ornaments, stockings, clothes, beds, blankets, sheets, toys, amd school supplies. I am still greatful to those folks, and 6 years later I still have those things and every year I try to pass on the good will to those that need it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 12, 2014 at 4:04 PM
Agree.
I'm afraid my DH is weeks (maybe days) away from being laid off. Fortunately we have a bit of savings. My kids are going to have a Christmas, but certainly not the kind they're used to.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 12, 2014 at 4:09 PM
My hubby lost his job 10 months ago. He has a specialized field. We have gone through all our savings 30,000 and his 401 K. If I would have known he would not find a job I could have gone to work and he could have stayed home. Three jobs fell through due to government funds being cut. He took a very low, 1/4 of his previous income just to have a job, and only kind of in his field, if he doesn't use his security clearance he will have to reapply and it is a huge hassle.
My kids are getting 2 presents each, and it will be sad for them. I have always gone overboard. We will have a quiet Christmas at home and hopefully bake a lot of cookies and make memories. Last Christmas we surprised them with tickets to Disneyland.
Things change, and this economy is very hard to find a job like we are used to. We still have the same bills and cannot make ends meet, we are going to lose our house etc.
gspot
by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 4:13 PM
Some times that's hard to do.
Lawless85
by on Dec. 17, 2014 at 6:13 PM

It is difficult to go through something like that. I wish you the best in your husbands efforts and good luck to you and your family.

Quoting Anonymous 4: My hubby lost his job 10 months ago. He has a specialized field. We have gone through all our savings 30,000 and his 401 K. If I would have known he would not find a job I could have gone to work and he could have stayed home. Three jobs fell through due to government funds being cut. He took a very low, 1/4 of his previous income just to have a job, and only kind of in his field, if he doesn't use his security clearance he will have to reapply and it is a huge hassle. My kids are getting 2 presents each, and it will be sad for them. I have always gone overboard. We will have a quiet Christmas at home and hopefully bake a lot of cookies and make memories. Last Christmas we surprised them with tickets to Disneyland. Things change, and this economy is very hard to find a job like we are used to. We still have the same bills and cannot make ends meet, we are going to lose our house etc.

Becoming master of reverse psychology and patience

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Dec. 17, 2014 at 6:15 PM
Good for you for being responsible, that's the way it should be done.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Dec. 17, 2014 at 6:22 PM
Not everyone can save money for Christmas toys . Stuff in life happens .
You need a gift certificate for compassion classes in your Perfect Christmas stocking !
holyhoola
by on Dec. 17, 2014 at 6:26 PM
Yet sometimes it just isn't feasible.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)