Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I thought it was harder to adopt than that

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 6 Replies
An acquaintance of mine got a girl pregnant and they decided to put the baby up for adoption. They went through an agency and found someone who lived on the opposite side of the country and that's who they picked to adopt their child.

The lady that adopted him as cystic fibrosis and isn't married, she's been in and out of the hospital constantly since she's had the baby and several of her boyfriends have watched him while she is in the hospital for weeks at a time.

From what I know about cf she will die without a lung transplant and even then it only helps it's not a cure. How did they allow the adoption to go through? The lady that adopted him has no ties to the family and the baby doesn't have special needs and is a perfectly healthy male child.

Are the rules really that lax so to speak?
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 12, 2014 at 3:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 12, 2014 at 4:04 PM
Bump
quinnsmom715
by Ruby Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 4:07 PM

im sure shes a lovely person but id never give her my baby..isnt your friend worried the baby may end up in foster care if she dies?

lifeisajoy
by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 4:08 PM

No not all that lax. We had to go through rigorous home study, health exams ( though you can have health issues but dr has to explain it n reason you are a good candidate to adopt). Also through parenting classes. Also references, and clearances and home inspection. If someone in home 18 n over living there they need clearances too. Also single parents go through more

Mrs-Somerhalder
by Blake on Dec. 12, 2014 at 4:09 PM
I suppose if a birth family picks you, that's all that matters? Agencies usually have criteria you have to meet though. >

but the bigger question is why would they pick someone with such extreme medical issues and hardly any support system?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 12, 2014 at 4:10 PM
I think you only go through a lot if your using an agency. Anyone can allow anyone to adopt a child if you just use an attorney all that home check stuff and whatnot can be bypassed if you do it that way
PacMan80
by Ruby Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 4:14 PM
We did a private adoption. We had to do a home study and fill out paperwork, but it was fairly easy. Or caseworker said it was the quickest adoption she'd ever seen.

We're healthy though. I couldn't imagine someone picking an adoptive family with so many health issues. I'm actually surprised the agency let her through as a candidate.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)