Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Off Foodstamps. Help Me!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 34 Replies
1 mom liked this

After 8 years of trials and hardships, my family is FINALLY off government assistance! We no longer receive food stamps, medicaid (though we do qualify for CHIP for the kids), WIC or anything.

This is a first for us and this is our last month receiving food stamps. We were getting almost $700, but that ends all together.

So, I need some cheap and healthy ideas for dinner, please and thank you.

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 12, 2014 at 4:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 12, 2014 at 4:21 PM
4 moms liked this
You weren't cooking cheap dinners while on food stamps? I think you've got it backwards!
MissMackiesgg
by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 4:21 PM

Check out some of the cooking groups. Like Cooking 101 or Crockpot Moms.

WickedOpal
by Ruby Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 4:22 PM

Check out the Frugalistas group.  They have lots of great advice for saving money on just about anything.

lauren.m
by Ruby Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 4:23 PM
What size family do you have?
tisha826
by Tisha on Dec. 12, 2014 at 4:24 PM
1 mom liked this
Congrats!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 12, 2014 at 4:25 PM
wait so you got enough in food stamps that you could cook whatever you wanted while on food stamps but now that you're not you have to cook cheaply? This is kind of the problem with the system. However spaghetti is always a good cheap meal. You can usually get the frozen prepared meatballs buy one get one free and it ends up being cheaper than buying the ground beef.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 12, 2014 at 4:25 PM

Cheap-ish, yes. Like, we wasn't having steak and lobster every night (actually, it was only on a rare occassion we would have steak and neither of us like lobster), but I had a bigger budget than what I'll have now.

Quoting Anonymous 2: You weren't cooking cheap dinners while on food stamps? I think you've got it backwards!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 12, 2014 at 4:26 PM

Family of 5.

Quoting lauren.m: What size family do you have?

SAHMJC
by Emerald Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 4:28 PM
I like to get the roast when they're buy one get one free. They are a little bit more expensive but like I said if you get them on sale it's not bad. What I do is I cook the roast beef and we have roast beef with mashed potatoes and vegetables. Then I usually have enough left overs to make beef stew and beef tips and gravy.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 12, 2014 at 4:28 PM

I had a bigger budget with the food stamps, so I could afford more costly meals. Not, like, steak or anything like that. I could afford to do more, I guess. Now, I'm looking for ways to make the dollar stretch further, because my budget will be about $200 less than it was on the food stamps.

Quoting Anonymous 3: wait so you got enough in food stamps that you could cook whatever you wanted while on food stamps but now that you're not you have to cook cheaply? This is kind of the problem with the system. However spaghetti is always a good cheap meal. You can usually get the frozen prepared meatballs buy one get one free and it ends up being cheaper than buying the ground beef.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)