Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

We are teaching our three year old how to cook

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 6:00 PM
  • 122 Replies
5 moms liked this

Why not?  I think that knowin how to cook is a very important skill for any person to have.  So we are starting her early.  She has her own stool in the kitchen that she gets out so she can reach the stove.  Her favorite things to cook are scrambled eggs, toast and bacon.  Right now the only thing she isn't allowed to do is cut anything.  

here she is at a friends making cookies

DD cooking stew with DH

What things are you teaching your toddlers that you think is essential to living an independent life?

by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 6:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BluesPagan2.0
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 6:19 PM

Bump!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 12, 2014 at 6:20 PM

My kids cook with me all the time.. even my 7 month old baby (well kinda), i sit her in her high chair and she watches me. We are big on cooking though :) 

BluesPagan2.0
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 6:22 PM

So are we :)  DD can basically do eggs on her own already.  

My mom didn't really teach me how to cook.  I had to learn when I was an adult.  I don't want DD to have to go through a bunch of fails like I did lol

Quoting Anonymous 1:

My kids cook with me all the time.. even my 7 month old baby (well kinda), i sit her in her high chair and she watches me. We are big on cooking though :) 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 12, 2014 at 6:22 PM

i did the same things with my kids and the grand kids

PacMan80
by Ruby Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 6:22 PM

They help in the kitchen some.  They also help press the buttons on the washing machine/dryer.  They follow me trying to vaccum.  I walk through everything with them actually.  It's hard since DS is still under 2.  He distracts her, but they both try to help and learn.  She' (3) is a very good helper.

BluesPagan2.0
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 6:23 PM
1 mom liked this

DD loves to swiffer the floor.  It has a spray bottle on the end with the mop.  She can spray the floor and mop.  Granted I have to go over what she did but hey at least she is trying!

Quoting PacMan80:

They help in the kitchen some.  They also help press the buttons on the washing machine/dryer.  They follow me trying to vaccum.  I walk through everything with them actually.  It's hard since DS is still under 2.  He distracts her, but they both try to help and learn.  She' (3) is a very good helper.

susannah2000
by Emerald Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 6:24 PM
5 moms liked this

I absolutely think kids should be exposed to all kinds of things. I would not allow a three year old to be stirring a huge pot of something boiling, or cook bacon, which can burn adults when the grease pops, but eggs, cookies, etc...cook on! However, the very first thing cooks need to do is to tie their hair back if they have long hair.

raggedpoppy0
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 6:25 PM
My three year old is getting interested in helping so I am letting her do some basic tasks. I never learned anything as a child other than microwaving and dh had to teach me how to scramble an egg when we moved in together lol. If it weren't for him and Google and pinterest I wouldn't be able to survive haha
sweetsmom_23
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 6:25 PM
My son helps mix stuff. He's only 2 so he's not allowed by the stove.
BluesPagan2.0
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 6:25 PM

Her hair is super fine, it barely stays in a pony tail.  And we are never that far away from her.  Just far enough back every now and then to take a pic.  

Quoting susannah2000:

I absolutely think kids should be exposed to all kinds of things. I would not allow a three year old to be stirring a huge pot of something boiling, or cook bacon, which can burn adults when the grease pops, but eggs, cookies, etc...cook on! However, the very first thing cooks need to do is to tie their hair back if they have long hair.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)