Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

discrimination? *long* eta

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 45 Replies
My son has muscular dystrophy and is in a power wheelchair. He might only have six months to a year to live and as a result, he needs 24/7 round the clock care.

We put a deposit on a wheelchair friendly apartment, ada compliant. We live in a fairly small town and this is the only complex with these type of units. We put it down on October apartment was to be ready mid Nov. Two days before move in they told us the former tenant left ber crap, they need an extra two weeks to clear her stuff out. Fine. December rolls around, apartment won't be ready until December 12, got that in writing December 11th comes by and they say the apartment won't be ready until the 19th.

So, after months of being dicked around I called a fair housing attorney, who contacted them. They said our deposit was no good and they rented out the apartment to someone else. Funny, since it wasn't ready and they had our deposit for months.

The attorney told me to go in today, get a new deposit and get the old one refunded, as well as a letter from them about a new accessible apartment availability. The manager started yelling " I'm tired of your shit, I bent enough rules for you already I'm not bending more." Dh and I asked what she meant, and said you have three animals right?

Yeah.. Two pets and a service dog. Then she launches into a tirade about how we can't have three pets, why didn't we write down on the application we have three pets. Well.. because we have two pets, one service dog and you knew this as you told us before you didn't like it but you couldn't do anything about it. She starts yelling again she is tired of our bullshit and she will have to call her attorney to verify service dog laws.

I have all of this recorded. She has made 11 excuses to not move us in all are documented. She made it clear she does not want us living there because of my sons needs, because he might die in the apartment and because we have a service dog.

Sound shady as fuck to anyone else?
Btw the attorney wanted us to give the deposit so if she pulled more bullshit he could take her to court under law.

Eta: we have a cat, a small dog and the service dog. The apartment allows two pets with a pet fee (which we were prepared to pay)
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 12, 2014 at 6:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
csh.1310
by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 6:18 PM

I don't know what to think about that... it's crazy she would act like that if she already knew about the pets.

cookiemonster77
by Gold Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 6:19 PM

Why do they offer an ads compliant apartment if they don't want to be accommodating?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 12, 2014 at 6:20 PM
I would find somewhere else. It's not worth it to me to fight someone who doesn't want me to live there.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 12, 2014 at 6:24 PM
Just another excuse. First was the apartment was flooded, then they moved somelne else into the substitute apartment they told us we could have. Then the lady left her crap, then they didn't get the keys, then our deposit was bad (its a money order, its valid) then because we need an accessible apartment, then today because they said my credit wasn't good enough but my husband's was so they approved us "and bent the rules" and because of the service dog. This complex has probably 150 units if not more, I can't fathom that they don't know the law. Excuses, excuses, excuses.

Quoting csh.1310:

I don't know what to think about that... it's crazy she would act like that if she already knew about the pets.

csh.1310
by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 6:26 PM

If I were you I don't think I would want that apartment anymore. Can you find another place that will accommodate your son's needs?

Quoting Anonymous 1: Just another excuse. First was the apartment was flooded, then they moved somelne else into the substitute apartment they told us we could have. Then the lady left her crap, then they didn't get the keys, then our deposit was bad (its a money order, its valid) then because we need an accessible apartment, then today because they said my credit wasn't good enough but my husband's was so they approved us "and bent the rules" and because of the service dog. This complex has probably 150 units if not more, I can't fathom that they don't know the law. Excuses, excuses, excuses.
Quoting csh.1310:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 12, 2014 at 6:27 PM
Their website has had TWO ada compliant apartments listed on their website since they told us the first time they didn't have any. Funny part is the apartments listed, are the ones we were promised and told are not available now.

Quoting cookiemonster77:

Why do they offer an ads compliant apartment if they don't want to be accommodating?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 12, 2014 at 6:29 PM
I don't want to, but we are in the middle of nowhere, and we do not have the option of seeking employment elsewhere and moving to a new city with ada apartments.
Even if we can force them to let us live there I don't want to, I know they will retaliate. I'm hoping the attorney has a solution to this, however in the meantime I want to know if this sounds shady as fuck to anyone else. If so, I'll get my ducks in a row and take them to court.

Quoting Anonymous 2: I would find somewhere else. It's not worth it to me to fight someone who doesn't want me to live there.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 12, 2014 at 6:32 PM
No, dhs employment means we are stuck here for at least the next twelve months. At this point I'm willing to leave dh behind and move in with my FIL but this is not okay, if its shady to others a judge will agree. I want them to know it is not okay to break the law.

Quoting csh.1310:

If I were you I don't think I would want that apartment anymore. Can you find another place that will accommodate your son's needs?

Quoting Anonymous 1: Just another excuse. First was the apartment was flooded, then they moved somelne else into the substitute apartment they told us we could have. Then the lady left her crap, then they didn't get the keys, then our deposit was bad (its a money order, its valid) then because we need an accessible apartment, then today because they said my credit wasn't good enough but my husband's was so they approved us "and bent the rules" and because of the service dog. This complex has probably 150 units if not more, I can't fathom that they don't know the law. Excuses, excuses, excuses.

Quoting csh.1310:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 12, 2014 at 6:34 PM
Allowing the service dog is one thing. Allowing the other two pets on top of the service dog is quite another.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 12, 2014 at 6:44 PM
They allow two pets.

Quoting Anonymous 3: Allowing the service dog is one thing. Allowing the other two pets on top of the service dog is quite another.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)