Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Volunteer ideas?

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 6:24 PM
  • 3 Replies
1 mom liked this
Monday I'm teaching my 6 year old about food scarcity, homeless and hunger. Then that evening we'll be volunteering at the Oregon food bank. 2 weeks later are set up to volunteer there again.
I'm trying to demonstrate compassion and generosity to my daughter and pass that on to her. I have showed her how people react what you pay for their coffee (we did that 3 times in a day). She thought that was pretty cool.
What are some places you have volunteered with young children? I just need ideas. :) were could keep doing Oregon food bank, but I would like a little variety. :)
by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 6:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
chiefsfan91
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 6:31 PM
When we were little my mom volunteered me, my little brother and herself every weekend. Mostly at the soup kitchen.
I remember sitting on the counter at 5 years old dipping soups or handing out Bread.
I am so grateful she did that for us. Its so important to help people that need it. I work at the college I attend and just started toys for tots and a canned food drive last month. I really want to do something Christmas day :)

Good for you for including your daughter. !!
JC2223
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 6:38 PM

I volunteer at my DD's school, she see's me helping and that inspires her. She volunteers to mentor the younger grades (she's in 5th) during recess and the last 20 minutes of the school day. She helps with math and reading.

We also visit our local SPCA with donations twice a year. She wants to do the youth volunteer program there, but has to wait until she is 13 to enter the program. We also do food banks and adopt a family.

It's wonderful to teach them empathy, generosity and lending a helping hand in any way you can. 

RoaringLion
by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 6:40 PM
Food banks, food drives, soup kitchens.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)