Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

(S/O) Do poor people deserve to be poor?

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 7:09 PM
  • 308 Replies
1 mom liked this

There are a few "poor" posts going on, and I hate to start another one, but one thing is irritating me.

many of pp state that people wouldn't need welfare (any type of assistance) if they could just "live within their means" "get a job" or "budget better" or if they weren't "lazy" 

You (general) state that you have your "wealth" because you "worked hard" or "Went to college" or "Saved wisely" 

Do you feel that people who need help deserve to be poor?

by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 7:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 12, 2014 at 7:15 PM
15 moms liked this
The problem with government assistance is that people get stuck in the system. They could end up working, losing their assistance, and not be able to feed their family. Who would really want to work and not be able to survive, when they can stay at home with everything they need paid?
.Milfshake.
by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 7:17 PM

I agree

Quoting Anonymous 1: The problem with government assistance is that people get stuck in the system. They could end up working, losing their assistance, and not be able to feed their family. Who would really want to work and not be able to survive, when they can stay at home with everything they need paid?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 12, 2014 at 7:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Not if they're are trying to change things to make their lives better. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 12, 2014 at 7:17 PM
2 moms liked this

No they don't. But, if they have the means and opportunity to better themselves and they refuse to and don't, well.....

desertlvn
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 7:19 PM
16 moms liked this
Some, but most no.

We are working poor. I'm a teacher, my husband is a real estate agent with a second job.

I think most poor people are like us- scraping by and working hard.
Rangermom772
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 7:19 PM
1 mom liked this

By that standard, I deserve to be poor. I certainly don't think I worked very hard for what I have in life.

AvantGardener
by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 7:20 PM
44 moms liked this

I think that not everyone has the tools to manage money. I believe that you can only be a victim of circumstance for so long, but it's a vicious circle and not everyone makes it out. 

I also think that "poor hating" is just one more bullshit brainwashing scam. Poor people aren't the enemy, they aren't the ones sucking up all the tax dollars. 

When a poor person accepts credits, doesn't pay taxes, and get's money from the government they are called freeloaders, but when huge corporations do it, it's called smart business.

CameraMum
by Anne on Dec. 12, 2014 at 7:21 PM
True.

Quoting Anonymous 3:

No they don't. But, if they have the means and opportunity to better themselves and they refuse to and don't, well.....

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 12, 2014 at 7:21 PM

Do I deserve to be poor?  I left an abusive situtation with my one child.  I work and have worked 40+ hours a week for the last 3 years at the same job.  An apartment is 1/3 of my income.  The best part is I don't qualify for assistance because I make too much! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Dec. 12, 2014 at 7:22 PM
1 mom liked this
I think people who continue to make poor decisions should have consequences for them. That does not apply to ALL poor people however.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)