Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Medicine help. I need ideas please!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies

My dd7 has strep throat. She is on her third antibiotic and if this one doesn't work they will be admitting her to the hospital for IV antibiotics. The problem is that the new antibiotic, Clarithromycin, has a gritty texture and she can't tolerate it. She has had 2 doses so far and both times she has gagged and the second time she threw it right back up and had to take another dose. We tried giving it all at once and we tried giving it in small amounts and neither one worked. The third time we mixed it in applesauce and she managed to get it all down but she did not like the taste.

So does anyone have any other ideas on how I can help her take this medicine without being miserable. She is very cooperative and willing to choke it down in applesauce if she has to because she doesn't want to be in the hospital, but I would rather this not be any more miserable for her than it has to be, so any ideas would be great. Thanks.

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 12, 2014 at 8:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyTo5Boys
by Gold Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 8:29 PM

Ask for it in pill form and then put it in applesauce.

Not crushed up, the whole pill, she will be able to swallow it right down with the applesauce.

Spam72
by Emerald Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 8:30 PM
My pediatrician had an injectable antibiotic I used to request for my 12 year old. She clamped her lips and spit out everything! It was done once in the office.
Momeficient
by Gold Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 8:31 PM
Yogurt or a smoothie.
amy-momof5
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 8:33 PM
Pudding or a milkshake. It's the only way I get my sister to take anything.
shivasgirl
by Ruby Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 8:33 PM

I used to flavor this medicine with Flavor Rx when I worked in the pharmacy, but they recommended chasing it with white grape juice. The problem with it is that "grit" is actually tiny microbeads of medication that burst in the mouth and have a horribly bitter taste. White grape juice seems to be the only thing to cut it. Can she swallow a pill? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 12, 2014 at 8:38 PM

It's flavored but that doesn't help much. The doctor warned us about the bitter taste but we didn't realize it would be that bad. She's never had problems taking medications before. She's actually never tried to take pills before so I'm not sure if she can or not. I will probably call her doctor in the morning to see if they can give us a pill to try or something. I'm worried that she's going to keep throwing it up and we won't have enough to finish what she needs. I'll also try the white grape juice. Thanks for the tip.

Quoting shivasgirl:

I used to flavor this medicine with Flavor Rx when I worked in the pharmacy, but they recommended chasing it with white grape juice. The problem with it is that "grit" is actually tiny microbeads of medication that burst in the mouth and have a horribly bitter taste. White grape juice seems to be the only thing to cut it. Can she swallow a pill? 

Twiceblessedmom
by Gold Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 8:40 PM
Pudding, mine used chocolate, good luck!
shivasgirl
by Ruby Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 8:44 PM

try her on a tictac and see if she can swallow it, the call dr and have him change it to pills, the 250mg isnt too big, good luck

Quoting Anonymous 1:

It's flavored but that doesn't help much. The doctor warned us about the bitter taste but we didn't realize it would be that bad. She's never had problems taking medications before. She's actually never tried to take pills before so I'm not sure if she can or not. I will probably call her doctor in the morning to see if they can give us a pill to try or something. I'm worried that she's going to keep throwing it up and we won't have enough to finish what she needs. I'll also try the white grape juice. Thanks for the tip.

Quoting shivasgirl:

Rhodin
by Ruby Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 8:49 PM
Find a compounding pharmacy. They can do custom flavors or, better yet, extra small pills.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
slb235
by Grammar Police on Dec. 12, 2014 at 8:53 PM

Could be worse.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)