Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do I have the right to be upset?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 33 Replies
Backstory: I have been friends with Jenna for +11 years now. In May my boyfriend proposed to me. I messaged Jenna and asked her if she would be my bridesmaid. Well some time before, or after, she got pregnant with her DD.

I am getting married on February 10th and she is due on February 16th. She agreed to still be my bridesmaid if she doesn't go into labor. I took her to see the dress I had picked out for her and she was not happy. She says that the dress is too "revealing" and it looks like something a "horny teenager would wear to prom"; she said it doesn't look like something a heavily pregnant woman would/should wear.

I will admit that the dress is short and does reveal a lot of cleavage but I LOVE the dress. She told me that she was sorry, she would have to back out because she is not comfortable.

Now I am pissed at her! My Mom says I do not have the right to be upset. Wdyt?
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 12, 2014 at 8:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 12, 2014 at 8:36 PM

What did you expect?  You knew she was pregnant.

dragonborn
by Wonderstruck on Dec. 12, 2014 at 8:36 PM
Can I see a picture of the dress? That will influence my opinion.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 12, 2014 at 8:37 PM

I'm guessing that the OP is actually the bridesmaid here...

anonymoustwo
by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 8:37 PM
Since you guys are friends, can you compromise on a new dress?
Rangermom772
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 8:39 PM

You have no right to force anyone to wear clothing they are not comfortable in!

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Dec. 12, 2014 at 8:40 PM

Pic of dress please.

KSBlueyz
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 8:41 PM

No. You're both in two different worlds right now. Accept that and wish her the best. 

But.....I'm worried she doesn't respect your friendship. While it is your wedding and you should have bridesmaid dresses you like, her words insulted your taste. It's one thing to say that she's not comfortable, but to call it something only a horny teenager would wear is wrong. 

1kidmomajm
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 8:41 PM
1 mom liked this

There is too much history of bridesmaids wearing awful dresses just to please the bride. Sure you love the dress, but even though her prom comment was rude, yet she is close enough to you she can talk like that, she had to be honest. She isn't comfortable with it. 

It's just a stupid dress. Call her and tell her you really want her to be a part of your wedding. You would love to go shopping with her to find the right dress. If by chance she has the baby before hand, do you have a back up that will be understanding about being second choice?

Mom2Phoenix2011
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 8:41 PM
She gave you plenty of notice, so no you do not have a right to be upset. You admit that the dress is short and shows cleavage she expressed her concerns, you did not care so she solved the problem.
thenameshailie
by Emerald Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 8:42 PM
I think I would let people pick their own dress.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)