Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

gestational diabetes help!

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 9:15 PM
  • 17 Replies
So today is my first day with the meter and strips.
For lunch I was over by 1 carb allowed and my number was over by 48. I ate it all.
dinner I chose something right in range (couldnt eat it all) and I was still over by 12.
What is going on? Does this show I might need the insulin shots or the Pills? This is very frustrating. :(
by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 9:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 12, 2014 at 9:17 PM

No idea. 

Maybe call your docotr?

Rangermom772
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 9:19 PM

What were your carbs? A milkshake or vegetables? The source of the carbs matters.

mlmynm81
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 9:24 PM

I had to get on a pill when my numbers wouldnt regulate. Sometimes it takes your body time to adjust but if they keep going like that, they will probably put you on something. How many carbs are you allowed and what are your numbers supposed to be after meal?

blondieinva80
by Gold Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 9:28 PM
I'm type 1 diabetic,so other then pill part,what she said.

Quoting mlmynm81:

I had to get on a pill when my numbers wouldnt regulate. Sometimes it takes your body time to adjust but if they keep going like that, they will probably put you on something. How many carbs are you allowed and what are your numbers supposed to be after meal?

cristinam900911
by Member on Dec. 13, 2014 at 3:02 PM

Lunch was a bowl of cereal and dinner was mcdonalds (used the cheat sheet to figure out what was within my range).

This morning for breakfast I had cereal but couldn't eat it. Maybe a couple bites and the glass of milk I'm allowed and it was JUST under. So if I would have ate it all I'm sure it would have been over again.

Quoting Rangermom772:

What were your carbs? A milkshake or vegetables? The source of the carbs matters.

Lilypie Maternity tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
cristinam900911
by Member on Dec. 13, 2014 at 3:07 PM

My fasting is always good (has to be below 95).

Breakfast I'm allowed 30-35 carbs.

Lunch and dinner I'm allowed 60-65 carbs.

The numbers have to be below 130 an hour after each meal.

I'm realizing the less I eat (than what I'm allowed) the closer to the 130 I get. If I eat within range it's always over.

It sucks that I grew up so damn picky and as an adult could not break it. Makes it hard finding meal ideas that are within my range.

And now I caught my son's cold with throwing up and diarreah so I feel even worse.

Quoting mlmynm81:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 13, 2014 at 3:08 PM
Well with cereal and McDonald's I'm not surprised you were over.
What protein did you eat?
You really really need to step away from the fast food, in the long run its a few weeks you have to deal with the diet.
I was diabetic with my babies, last one I was diabetic within the first 10 weeks. So, yes, I followed the diet the entire pregnancy.
Sucked, but it's what you gotta do.
You need lots of greens, lots of protein.
Cereal is all carbs and McDonald's is not good either.

Quoting cristinam900911:

Lunch was a bowl of cereal and dinner was mcdonalds (used the cheat sheet to figure out what was within my range).

This morning for breakfast I had cereal but couldn't eat it. Maybe a couple bites and the glass of milk I'm allowed and it was JUST under. So if I would have ate it all I'm sure it would have been over again.

Quoting Rangermom772:

tinkerxbell
by Danger Will Robinson on Dec. 13, 2014 at 3:08 PM

I have gestational diabetes too and I am not allowed to eat cereal, even if it has a lot of fiber. I eat whole wheat toast and peanut butter, or whole wheat toast and eggs. I haven't eaten any fast food, but my nutritionist said if you're going to eat fast food to eat a salad or something first. and you really have to watch carbs AND fat content at fast food places. 

You may not need any meds, just really watch what you're eating the next few days and see how it works out.

Quoting cristinam900911:

Quoting Rangermom772:

cristinam900911
by Member on Dec. 13, 2014 at 3:17 PM

With it being only the first couple days I'm still trying to figure this out. I know the cereal is bad, but it was something quick, same as the McDonalds. Sucks that I just caught my son's cold. I planned to use today to figure out what foods to go buy at the store since we don't have too much options here. This does suck so much, but I'm hoping this cold goes away quick so I will have the energy just to move lol.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Well with cereal and McDonald's I'm not surprised you were over. What protein did you eat? You really really need to step away from the fast food, in the long run its a few weeks you have to deal with the diet. I was diabetic with my babies, last one I was diabetic within the first 10 weeks. So, yes, I followed the diet the entire pregnancy. Sucked, but it's what you gotta do. You need lots of greens, lots of protein. Cereal is all carbs and McDonald's is not good either.
Quoting cristinam900911:

Quoting Rangermom772:

cristinam900911
by Member on Dec. 13, 2014 at 3:20 PM

This sucks because I'm a HUGE cereal eater. There are times we eat eggs and toast, but not often. I guess it's time to change it up. I plan to cut out fast food. It was just something quick to eat since I haven't at in over 4 hours.

Quoting tinkerxbell:

I have gestational diabetes too and I am not allowed to eat cereal, even if it has a lot of fiber. I eat whole wheat toast and peanut butter, or whole wheat toast and eggs. I haven't eaten any fast food, but my nutritionist said if you're going to eat fast food to eat a salad or something first. and you really have to watch carbs AND fat content at fast food places. 

You may not need any meds, just really watch what you're eating the next few days and see how it works out.

Quoting cristinam900911:

Quoting Rangermom772:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)