Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you have done it for them?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 20 Replies
Say you've been friends with a couple for four months, but your sibling has been friends with them for several years. Your sibling works with the guy, and you know from your sibling that their boss failed to get their check to them last pay period and they were getting paid double today. The guy and the girl both have biweekly car payments, and they're set up to where one payment is due each week. If they are seven days late on a payment, the company can repossess the vehicle.

You go over to their house and while you were there, you overhear the guy on the phone asking if he can make a payment tomorrow. He got paid today but the banks were closed by the time he got off work, and can get the check cashed and the payment made by 9:00 am. The company refuses to wait and tell him he has until 8:30 to come up with the payment or the repossession order will be placed and the vehicle will be repossessed tomorrow morning. On top of that, the other car payment is due today and because they are late on the truck, the company says that repossession orders will be placed on both vehicles if payments are not made today because the accounts are fairly new.

You have the ability to pay their payments tonight and get the money back from them tomorrow morning. Would you offer to cover the payments tonight, as long as the money was given back to you tomorrow?
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 12, 2014 at 10:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KairisMama
by Sapphire Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 10:28 PM
1 mom liked this
If you can trust they will pay back immediately, sure.
taerinjakome
by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 10:30 PM

If they are good for it ( which it sounds like they are) then yes. I would hate to see two good people lose their trucks, hence making them lose their jobs.

andreamarie
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 10:33 PM
After what my own family has done to me no. Do you really know they were paid ? Also if there are any garnishments ? A good heart is wonderful. But when you have a family that can be dangerous.
ArmyWife112908
by Mrs.Crane on Dec. 12, 2014 at 10:33 PM
No, I don't loan out money ever. Now if I could afford to just give it to them and know I would be fine without being paid back that's different.
kikibix
by Ruby Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 10:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't know anyone else's financial business, I find it odd that they share that with you.  I also do not think it's too bright of them to overextend themselves like that.  Life happens, unexpected things occur, they shouldn't overextend themselves like that. I probably would not give them money.  Might sound heartless but my instinct is not to trust someone who does not make sound financial decisions.

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Dec. 12, 2014 at 10:34 PM

No.I do not lend money to anyone.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 12, 2014 at 10:36 PM
I would. I've loaned money to friends and have financed stuff for them and it's always worked out well. The only thing I'd worry about is that some people get offended if you offer to loan money without being asked. It happened to me with my ex's psycho mom.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 12, 2014 at 10:38 PM
I would yes.

Also, if its the bosses fault they weren't paid they should have to cover any overdraft fees that may have accumulated because of an automatic payment or something of that sort.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 12, 2014 at 10:41 PM
It wasn't shared with me intentionally. His phone was on the charger and because of where the outlet is, it had to be on speakerphone. I overheard the conversation (their house is pretty small). No one asked me to do that, but I know how hard they are working to get in a better position financially. They were getting ahead on bills until the guys (and my brothers) boss screwed up their paychecks. This isn't the first time it's happened, from what my brother told me. If it happens again they'll be going to a different roofing company.The woman is almost done with school so she can get a better paying job. Their financial decisions may not have been sound in the past, but they're both trying really hard now, and have been for months.

Quoting kikibix:

I don't know anyone else's financial business, I find it odd that they share that with you.  I also do not think it's too bright of them to overextend themselves like that.  Life happens, unexpected things occur, they shouldn't overextend themselves like that. I probably would not give them money.  Might sound heartless but my instinct is not to trust someone who does not make sound financial decisions.

jessi2girls
by Emerald Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 10:45 PM
I don't loan money to friends. any money I'd give to a friend would be a gift. had too many "friends' borrow that never paid me back... so now if I can give them a gift, sure.. if I can't swing that much as a gift, then I can't do it. most friends I've done this for have paid me back in some other way.. dinner out, bring over a gift, etc. works better for all involved this way.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)