Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Will they really do this?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies
My stepson is all but failing school(8th grade). He's got D's and D minuses. The teachers say he's lazy and doesn't care about his work, but because he passes his SOLs they can't do much. Is this just how public school is? My bio kids aren't in school yet, so I have nothing to compare it to. His mom just doesn't care, says he can make his own choices.
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:18 PM
Parents can choose to hold kids back.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:19 PM
Bump for you. My boys are in elementary
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:20 PM

Quoting Anonymous 2: Parents can choose to hold kids back.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:20 PM
Idk what SOL is, but ds is in 3rd and if he doesn't pass his state tests, he won't pass. He failed the first one (off by 13 points!).

If he can pass the SOL (state tests?), it seems like he knows the material, he just doesn't care for the classes
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:20 PM

that's exactly what happened with my oldest, who was in public school through his freshman year in hs.  one of his teachers called me at the end of the term and said technically my ds had failed, because he hadn't turned in any homework all semester.  but since he had a 97% average on his tests and knew the material, the teacher wanted to know what I wanted him to do.  I said fail him if that's what he earned.  instead, they passed him anyway.  I transferred him to a private school, thinking he would finally have to work for a grade.  they did the same exact thing the public school did.  now he's 20 and learning the hard way that if he wants what everyone else has, he has to put in the work. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:21 PM
He doesn't turn in any homework or do most of the in class work but yeah he passes the state tests.

Quoting Anonymous 4: Idk what SOL is, but ds is in 3rd and if he doesn't pass his state tests, he won't pass. He failed the first one (off by 13 points!).

If he can pass the SOL (state tests?), it seems like he knows the material, he just doesn't care for the classes
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:22 PM
He says he wants to drop out as soon as possible, get his GED, and work at the dollar store. I mean I guess he has a plan. Is it bad I want him to at least want more??

Quoting Anonymous 5:

that's exactly what happened with my oldest, who was in public school through his freshman year in hs.  one of his teachers called me at the end of the term and said technically my ds had failed, because he hadn't turned in any homework all semester.  but since he had a 97% average on his tests and knew the material, the teacher wanted to know what I wanted him to do.  I said fail him if that's what he earned.  instead, they passed him anyway.  I transferred him to a private school, thinking he would finally have to work for a grade.  they did the same exact thing the public school did.  now he's 20 and learning the hard way that if he wants what everyone else has, he has to put in the work. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:22 PM

It might depend on your state, but I know here they will hold someone back for failing.  I'm in California. 

Side note... I think it's funny the state tests are called SOL.  That's what it sounds like your stepson is going to be if he doesn't improve his schoolwork. 

alexsmomaubrys2
by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:22 PM
That shows he knows the material. Sounds like he is bored and needs a challenge.

Quoting Anonymous 1: He doesn't turn in any homework or do most of the in class work but yeah he passes the state tests.

Quoting Anonymous 4: Idk what SOL is, but ds is in 3rd and if he doesn't pass his state tests, he won't pass. He failed the first one (off by 13 points!).

salleem
by Reddlace on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:24 PM

My husband was like this, although they didn't have mandatory pass state testing. Sounds like he isn't being challeged and is just a bored kid. Or a kid who just doesn't like school but knows his stuff. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)