Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

do you reciprocate sleep overs?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies
Almost every weekend, ds has a sleepover with a group of kids. Sometimes it's just one, usually 2, but there's been a few 5+ boys being here.

Now, don't get me wrong, i enjoy doing that for ds. Most of the kids are good, they get along ok. No major problems, nothing to make me say "I'm never doing that again"...

but after 4 months of it (again, almost every weekend. Maybe one week I'll say no), I'm kinda in a mood for a complete break. Like, including from ds. I'm a single mom so it's not like i can say dear husband, watch the lovely boy while i go dance in the field. Lol i can't even say, hey sperm donor, what of those visits you desperately demanded?

I don't even know what i want to do! Maybe go to a night time movie! Maybe go to the bar (eh, probably not. I don't drink). Maybe just dance around naked in my house! Lol

ds knows better than to invite himself to someone's house but I honestly thought maybe someone would reciprocate the sleep overs. At least once. I'm not trying to make it a continuous thing like how I do it, but i can't lie- I'd love a break. Lol
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cleansedbyglory
by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:21 PM

:( you have been an excellent mom...

are you close to any of your son's friends? if so, kindly, discreetly ask them if they could do the sleepover thing for a couple weekends <3 <3

lollip0p
by Ruby Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:23 PM

I think that's a reasonable request. Not sure how you'd go about it though. They should offer. Maybe try subtly suggesting it next time you speak to the other parents?

ArmyWife112908
by Mrs.Crane on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:24 PM
We can't have people over because my mom is upstairs and is a super light sleeper. Usually we only do sleepovers with family so since we can't reciprocate I will stay over at the house and baby sit so the adults can go out.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:26 PM
1 mom liked this
I enjoy doing it. As a kid, we weren't allowed any friends over, even during the day so giving him these memories, it kinda erases my past. Lol

Plus he looks forward to it every weekend, like ah, gotta act right if I want my friends over.

I'm not close enough to feel comfortable asking anyone. The parents just usually send their kids walking over here with their stuff. If i know a kid has something important the following day, I'll text to ask if they want them home by a certain time, but that's about as far as it'll go.

Even if it's just twice a year, once every 6 months. Lol

I sound like such a whiner.

Quoting cleansedbyglory:

:( you have been an excellent mom...

are you close to any of your son's friends? if so, kindly, discreetly ask them if they could do the sleepover thing for a couple weekends <3 <3

Hubris_Huntsman
by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:29 PM
Just ask. I've asked and I've been asked. We're pretty blunt around here. Lol.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:29 PM
I could understand that, it's harder when you share a household.

Quoting ArmyWife112908: We can't have people over because my mom is upstairs and is a super light sleeper. Usually we only do sleepovers with family so since we can't reciprocate I will stay over at the house and baby sit so the adults can go out.
vegaswife2011
by LMAO on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:30 PM

Nope. I have all the sleepovers. I totally get what you're saying though. Good luck.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:31 PM
Lol i think I'd faint before i would ever be able to ask. Idk if it's bc i don't know their parents that well, or its just been etched into my mind to never ask/invite yourself over.

I am half tempted to tell ds to ask his friends to ask their moms. But that just seems like crossing the line of disrespect. :(

Quoting Hubris_Huntsman: Just ask. I've asked and I've been asked. We're pretty blunt around here. Lol.
starshine_17_02
by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:34 PM
If of were my kid going to your house every weekend, I would ask to host just so I could be in on the fun. So I'm not sure how you should go about it.
Hubris_Huntsman
by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:36 PM
The way it goes here is "hey, would be able to take Joe overnight Friday? I've got tentative plans. Totally fine if you can't. No big deal." Obviously they aren't going to magically offer you want you really seem to need and deserve. What do you have to lose. And yes, totally uptight by the etiquette rule book people will probably scoff. Oh well.

So, maybe not as direct as I thought. Haha.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Lol i think I'd faint before i would ever be able to ask. Idk if it's bc i don't know their parents that well, or its just been etched into my mind to never ask/invite yourself over.

I am half tempted to tell ds to ask his friends to ask their moms. But that just seems like crossing the line of disrespect. :(

Quoting Hubris_Huntsman: Just ask. I've asked and I've been asked. We're pretty blunt around here. Lol.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)