Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I was approved for SSDI and I'm getting a back payment of $70,000. Question?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 97 Replies

I have a question.  I applied for SSDI many years ago and was denied.  I hired a lawyer and was finally approved.  The lawyer called me and told me since I have children under the age of 18 they will be receiving money to.  They will get 50% of what I get.  This was a nice surprise.

The lawyer told me I am getting back pay from April of 2010.  Will that back pay be just my benefits or will it be the children's benefits to?  The children's benefits will be in my name and they go to me.  

Do anyone know?

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:37 PM
Stop trying to take ur kids money , and no it will be in their name like my mothers ssi child benefit was in my name
the_dude
by abides on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:38 PM

I believe it's just yours, since you're disabled and they're your dependants (beneficiaries) I can text my sil and ask her, she works for ssa, and should still be awake. 

the_dude
by abides on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:39 PM
8 moms liked this

It's not her kid"s money, it's drawn off the money she paid into the system while working, they are her beneficiaries.

THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SSI AND SSDI... 

Quoting Anonymous 2: Stop trying to take ur kids money , and no it will be in their name like my mothers ssi child benefit was in my name

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Please do ask her.  

Quoting the_dude:

I believe it's just yours, since you're disabled and they're your dependants (beneficiaries) I can text my sil and ask her, she works for ssa, and should still be awake. 

katcb1019
by Gold Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:39 PM
1 mom liked this
You will get back pay for your children. The checks are made out to the child and their payee.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:39 PM
Wrong it is on a card now and the card has. The guardian name on it.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Stop trying to take ur kids money , and no it will be in their name like my mothers ssi child benefit was in my name
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:40 PM
In mi you'd receive your children's as well
the_dude
by abides on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Were they all born as of when you filed or prior? if so then my sil says  I was wrong, yes you will get backpay for them. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:41 PM

Have you dealt with this, is that how you know?

Quoting katcb1019: You will get back pay for your children. The checks are made out to the child and their payee.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:43 PM

One of the was born a few months later than the EOD (onnset date, the date I became disabled).

Quoting the_dude:

Were they all born as of when you filed or prior? if so then my sil says  I was wrong, yes you will get backpay for them. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)