Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

financial help

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 5 Replies
I've recently come into a large sum of money.

Thing is, i can't save money to save my life. I just can't stop spending it.

I want to use most of it to put on my student loans, currently almost $23,000... I'm hoping it'll be down to $13,000

I'm going to use $1,000 for all my CC debt.

But it still leaves me with over $4,000.

So far, I've basically wasted almost $500 on just stupid shit- Clothes for ds and i (didn't buy bras or underwear for myself even though i only have 1 bra that's almost in shreds, and a handful of 5+ years old underwear), gas, unneeded food, put some towards ds' school winter festival (an email was sent that only one person volunteered to buy one thing so i bought the rest), additional things for Christmas.

I'm thinking that after I pay off my CC and the portion of student loans, i should just cut up the card, try to forget that I even have the money.

I just, idk. I get by ok. Ok, not really. We barely get by, never having enough gas, still using our old underwear. I know i shouldn't be in charge of my finances though. I don't know how to stop, stop thinking of things that I just don't need!
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 20, 2014 at 2:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 20, 2014 at 2:33 AM
Tax season is around the corner dh and I just cane into a lump sum and we both just figured get ALL the important things or the way put up a gas card and do what we need to
msharleyjr
by Gold Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 2:45 AM
Is there someone you trust to help you? I help my daughter when she gets this way sometimes. I make accountable for what she's spending.
Or maybe someone that could help you make a budget?
mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Dec. 20, 2014 at 8:35 AM

Have you thought about taking a financial class like Financial Peace with Dave Ramsey? It might help you. 

I'm a saver...always have been. I'd rather have a lot of money saved for an emergency than to buy that candy bar or something we don't need. 

One thing you do is FPU is to have $1000 in the bank, then you pay off debt, and start saving more for college and retirement. Another thing you can do is when you make your budget for the month, you can allot a certain amount of money for blow money- money to spend on whatever you want. It helps to curb those spending habits if you have them. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Rangermom772
by Platinum Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 8:38 AM

$4000 is not a lot. Do your kids have college funds? You could start those.

Bluerose1482
by Ruby Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 8:39 AM

Pay down your debt as planned.  Keep and extra $500 and blow it.  Invest the rest in bonds or something else that is stable, but hard to access.  You are impulsive, so I doubt you'd go to the hassle of cashing out bonds and waiting for your money.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)