Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kidney stones

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2014 at 4:32 AM
  • 4 Replies
My Husband has been dealing with on and off pain in his kindeys for about a month. I finally convinced him to go to the doctor. (He hates going to the doctor for some unknown reason). He went into the walk in clinic since they had later hours.

He tested positive for blood in the urine. So they did an ultrasound to check for possible kidney stones. The test was positive for possible kidney stones. So today (after having to sort out some insurance stuff) he went in for a CT scan. We should get the results soon. Of course we expect it to be kidney stones.

I wanted to know if anyone else has dealt with kidney stones. How can I help him as he goes through passing them? How bad does it get??? Are there any natural remedies to make this easier on him?
by on Dec. 20, 2014 at 4:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
GirlWithANikon
by Ruby Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 4:39 AM

It can get pretty bad.  I haven't had them in years but have had them multiple times. I can remember throwing up and peeing what looked like straight blood, feeling feverish, shivers, basically like the worst stomach virus  of your life plus back pain and stomach cramps.

Some won't pass on their own and they remove them but I have never had that, my dad has. For home they give you like a streamer you can catch your pee in to see when you have passed them but I've never used it because I was in too much pain , annoyance, and fatigue to give a shit. I knew they were gone when I felt better.

XnikoX
by Gold Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 4:54 AM
I've dealt with kidney stones since the beginning of 2011. I've had stents and lithotripsies. And a surgery called percutaneous nephrolithotomy with nephrostomy tube.

I've always been told lemon (real lemon) in water is a good thing to drink. But i know certain foods to avoid are dependant on the type of kidney stone.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 20, 2014 at 7:02 AM
Lemon works to soften the stones and makes them pass easier. I had them in my last pregnancy. I was miserable! Doctor gave me some medicine to dilate my ureters and told me lemon, as much as I could stand. Talk about the worst heartburn ever but when I passed the stones they were soft.
ELKmountain.mom
by Peepers on Dec. 20, 2014 at 7:09 AM
Kidney stones suck ass, at least as bad as my natural labors. basically they only cause pain when they get caught in the creases of the kidneys and the. As they are passed through the urethra, he needs to be drinking a lot of lemon water when he finds there is one passing. He can also look into what is causing them, mine are hereditary but some are caused by leafy greens, calcium, choc, soda yet depending on the type. He can try to save it and have it looked at.
Some are too large to pass and must be broken with a laser but I haven't had that. My largest was 3.5mm
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)