Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A dog being in a shelter caged up, is better than being in a home that will love him...(UPDATE: i realize what you ladies were trying to say..)

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2014 at 4:33 AM
  • 56 Replies

UPDATE: Ok ladies ...ignoring the negative comments , i am going to say that i do understand why you were all saying the leash on a pole was a bad idea, my mindset was that my SO didn't want a small puppy..that he wanted a year old puppy...which then my daughter (whom is very skinny and very light) would have had trouble controlling if outside...

However, we WERE able to get a puppy puppy ...

Which means my daughter can take her out with her leash and walk her around the yard (with my supervision until she is ready to do so on her own)

Her name is Bella.

She is a mix of Lab and Collie

Myself and SO have had lengthly conversation on how we want to train her...here are the things that we have discussed (please keep in mind, that everyone trains their dogs differently according to their home and needs).

1) When she tries to jump up on the furniture , we say 'Bella no' and we gently make sure she is back on the floor, if she is persistant we have been saying 'bella no, bed' and placing her in her bed.

2) When it comes to leaving the room...we have been making sure that WE leave the room first not her..so she knows that she is not the dominant one. (also when she does get bigger, she doesn't barrel through the doorway or staircase when coming in..since myself and my daughter are small lol)

3) We have been giving her praises when she listens...and treats as well.

4) After she wakes up , and goes outside to do her business...we have been getting her toys out and playing with her..

5) Last night , she pee'd on the floor 3 times (this was before we figure out her routine), we did NOT rub her nose in it...and thankfully because we were (and will continue to do so) watching her very closely...we caught her mid pee, and we will say 'Bella , no..outside" we place her in front of the door ..get our jackets and say 'ok Bella..let's go outside to pee'... Today..she did not have one accident, and actually kept walking back and forth from the living to the door...(this i was shocked about lol)

And i have also been trying to teach her to 'fetch' ..but not expecting for her to catch on to that right away.

If you have any HELPFUL tips..please feel free to add them, if you have negative tips...well, your opinion is your opinion and i will try to respond with civil responses.

Me and SO went to the local SPCA yesterday in hopes of finding a dog that we would think was a good fit to our home ...(we have been talking about getting a lab..but have yet to find one , and knew that in the end it didn't matter what the breed was ...just as long as we thought he/she would suit our family) 

we found one, she was a husky / shepherd mix ..one blue eye, one brown..she was a year old. Very affectionate ...we asked to spend time with her outside of her cage , and while doing so the woman there told us that they would be doing home expections and if we did not have a fenced in yard we would automatically be turned down for adoption :( 

which I understand to a point ..but it just sucks, we have a ton of outdoor space for the dog to run around , excercise and burn off energy in! 

So we left the building pretty dissapointed :( 

i got home and posted about my day and sorrow for this puppy that has to stay in a cage all because we dont have a fence :( 

it is and was already in my plans to have a strong long leash hooked up to a pole and the end of it kept inside the door of the mud room , so that we could hook up the dog to a leash before it left the house if we were just letting it out to go to the bathroom. (this is a TRAINING technique until the dog is trained to stay on the property, we have a 12 yr old that will have the responsibilities to the dog as well...and would not be able to catch the dog if it were to run off the property...THE DOG WILL BE WATCHED, SO IT DOESN'T GET TANGLED OR HURT. the leash is not a permanent thing, and it won't be used often..or even very long..and will only be used if we are busy doing something and the dog needs to go to the bathroom..other than that, we will be outside with the dog...either on the property or for walks around town)

We are hoping that this puppy finds a home soon! 

However ,on a good note...my friend saw the post and text me about her friend that had lab/collie mixed puppies ready to find homes before Christmas ...she gave me the ladies number , I gave her a call and we are going to go see the puppy today and hopefully bring her home! 

by on Dec. 20, 2014 at 4:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 20, 2014 at 4:38 AM

That's a bit ridiculous. I mean, I kind of understand why they would want you to have a fence. Dogs can get in to real danger running aroung the neighborhood. They could get ran over, shot, hurt, stolen etc. but at the same time it's like....they're dogs. They would still most likely be better with a loving family. My dog doesn't have a fense. I live on a back road but I have a fair amount of neighbors. I know them and well it seems like a lot of them have dogs too so it's a bunch of dogs running around.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 20, 2014 at 4:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Put up a fence.  Problem solved.  How is your dog supposed to utilize all of that outdoor space if it's on a leash the whole time it's outside?

SmallTown_Momma
by Silver Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 4:42 AM

We rent ...so we can't put up a fence.

and i didn't say that i wanted a leash on the dog the whole time it was outside..just when it has to use the bathroom...

not to mention, you don't let the dog roam free when he/she is new to the home..that is more of a percentage of them running off..you have to train them first before you can let them just go out and know that they will stay on the property

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Put up a fence.  Problem solved.  How is your dog supposed to utilize all of that outdoor space if it's on a leash the whole time it's outside?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 20, 2014 at 4:47 AM
I swear there is no reason to the SPCA's behavior. One day the breed specific rescue I volunteered for agreed to take over some dogs from them as they had almost 30 of one breed. So I went to pick up my foster dog. There was an old man there holding this older mutt and they obviously loved each other. But they wouldn't let him have her. This bitch at the counter was like, "We will need to do a home inspection, and make sure your other dog will get along with this one." The man was very well dressed and had a nice car too. He explained his other dog was going to be euthanized shortly due to cancer, and he didn't want to be alone. And she didn't give a rat's ass. Then this white trash cow with four kids come in a demands a puppy, and only a puppy for her kids. There was a litter there, and the puppy was handed over without a question, Other than the usual adoption forms. I was still waiting for my foster dog, as they were combing through sick vs not sick to be able to be with my dogs. The whole procedure made me ill. They like telling people no I think.
Mrs.Elsey8486
by Platinum Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 4:52 AM

I have never heard of a pet adoption place doing home inspections... That is weird & stupid. Sorry about the husky. Hope this puppy works out for you.

SmallTown_Momma
by Silver Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 4:56 AM

That is insane! 'lets give the puppy to a mother with three children...and drill the single man that would give him its undivided attention' that is BS.

They also wanted us to bring in my 12 yr old DD (whom is at her dad's house until the 27th)...

we live 45 minutes away from the shelter and we were only able to get there because we rented a vehicle (we don't own a car)..i was not going to rent another vehicle to bring my daughter, and then rent another one to take the dog home in after the inspection.

i felt like saying , well how about this..you BRING the dog to our home for the inspection...than you will be able to see if the dog and child get along, and you'll be able to see if the dog likes the property! But im guessing they don't bring the dog with them while doing home inspections...which to me is not really logical.

Honestly, starting to see why there are breeders...a lot of people give breeder's a bad name , but for people in our situation..that is the only way we are going to get the addition to our family that we have been wanting.

Quoting Anonymous 3: I swear there is no reason to the SPCA's behavior. One day the breed specific rescue I volunteered for agreed to take over some dogs from them as they had almost 30 of one breed. So I went to pick up my foster dog. There was an old man there holding this older mutt and they obviously loved each other. But they wouldn't let him have her. This bitch at the counter was like, "We will need to do a home inspection, and make sure your other dog will get along with this one." The man was very well dressed and had a nice car too. He explained his other dog was going to be euthanized shortly due to cancer, and he didn't want to be alone. And she didn't give a rat's ass. Then this white trash cow with four kids come in a demands a puppy, and only a puppy for her kids. There was a litter there, and the puppy was handed over without a question, Other than the usual adoption forms. I was still waiting for my foster dog, as they were combing through sick vs not sick to be able to be with my dogs. The whole procedure made me ill. They like telling people no I think.

2callmemom09
by Bronze Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 4:58 AM
1 mom liked this
It sucks, but I can see why. With no fence, the dog is likely to end back up in the shelter. Huskies are runners, and need a tall fence. As a child we raised huskies, and damn they're smart as hell! I also don't agree with getting a dog, to hook it to a leash. Take it on walks, to take a shit... They need tons of exercises anyways!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 20, 2014 at 4:59 AM
It's not okay to tie a dog up.
That doesn't give them a safe option for running and roaming around a yard.
They could easily become tangled and strangled on a lead.
A dog could run fast to the end of a lead and injur themselves when they hit the end of the lead
There are many reasons a dog should not be tied up.
Sorry. But it is a normal requirement for adopting a dog.
SmallTown_Momma
by Silver Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 5:01 AM

i of course would be outside and watching the dog! but i am by no means going to let it go free just to take a crap until it is properly trained to stay in the yard.

once we are certain that the dog will stay on the property..than there is no leash needed.

Quoting Anonymous 4: It's not okay to tie a dog up. That doesn't give them a safe option for running and roaming around a yard. They could easily become tangled and strangled on a lead. A dog could run fast to the end of a lead and injur themselves when they hit the end of the lead There are many reasons a dog should not be tied up. Sorry. But it is a normal requirement for adopting a dog.

SmallTown_Momma
by Silver Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 5:02 AM

i have a 12 yr old..that will have responsibilities with the dog as well, so yea...if we are busy and the dog needs to be outside to do its business...before it is trained to stay on the property, a LONG leash (with it being able to roam) will be needed.

Quoting 2callmemom09: It sucks, but I can see why. With no fence, the dog is likely to end back up in the shelter. Huskies are runners, and need a tall fence. As a child we raised huskies, and damn they're smart as hell! I also don't agree with getting a dog, to hook it to a leash. Take it on walks, to take a shit... They need tons of exercises anyways!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)