Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this a sign that there's something wrong with my mom?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 33 Replies
I see my mom pretty often. At least 4 times a week for several hours. She adores her two grandkids. Recently she has started calling my 4 year old daughter by the wrong name (my name). Its not every time but its pretty frequent now. She never used to do this. Our names arent similar either. Mine is Alicia, hers is Lilac. She never calls my son the wrong name but then again she usually just calls him "little guy" (hes almost 2). My mom is 63 and retired. Am I over thinking or is this the start of something.
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 20, 2014 at 9:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
slw123
by Silver Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 9:07 AM

My parents call my daughter by my name often.  She is a mini me though.  Our names aren't even near close either.  I think it's just something that grandparents do, lol. 

alexsmomaubrys2
by on Dec. 20, 2014 at 9:08 AM
Its worth getting her evaluated.
TexanMomOf6
by Platinum Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 9:13 AM
1 mom liked this
No telling by that.

My dad has always gotten my sister and my name confused. He has 9 grandkids and says either Hey Boy or Hey Girl to get their attention.

One of my friends has 3 older brothers and her mom, when saying her name, went from oldest to youngest names until she hit the right one.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 20, 2014 at 9:15 AM
Quoting slw123:

My parents call my daughter by my name often.  She is a mini me though.  Our names aren't even near close either.  I think it's just something that grandparents do, lol. 

its recent though. My daughter is 4 and she's never done this until recently.
MommyAddie
by Platinum Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 9:20 AM
Your memory really isn't as sharp as you age. That in itself isn't enough to be concerned with, but it warrants keeping an eye out for other signs of problems. If you notice 2-3 reoccurring signs, it's worth getting her into a doctor.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JDmommyJD
by the sauce is boss on Dec. 20, 2014 at 9:23 AM

It could just be something simple.. When you get older, your minds not going to be as sharp as it used to be. If she picks up any other forgetful or mess up things tho, id have her evaluated. In Alzheimer's, its better detected early on.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 20, 2014 at 9:24 AM
Quoting MommyAddie: Your memory really isn't as sharp as you age. That in itself isn't enough to be concerned with, but it warrants keeping an eye out for other signs of problems. If you notice 2-3 reoccurring signs, it's worth getting her into a doctor.
what should I look out for?
southern.momof2
by on Dec. 20, 2014 at 9:25 AM
I would start watching her a little closer for more signs. I call my son by my daughter's name and vice versa so if that's the only thing she's doing, I wouldn't read too much into it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 20, 2014 at 9:26 AM
donnag013
by Platinum Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 9:26 AM

My mom did this, but she had 5 girls, just a year or so apart in ages, so it was DebbieCindyDonnaAmyMary all the time.

Quoting TexanMomOf6: No telling by that. My dad has always gotten my sister and my name confused. He has 9 grandkids and says either Hey Boy or Hey Girl to get their attention. One of my friends has 3 older brothers and her mom, when saying her name, went from oldest to youngest names until she hit the right one.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)