Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it rude ?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 16 Replies
I am invited to a Christmas eve dinner at a relative house . Is it Rude not to bring gifts ?

I would hope they would automatically understand that I am poor and cant afford to give Christmas gifts .
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 20, 2014 at 11:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thenameshailie
by Emerald Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 11:08 AM
Um I don't think so
lenashark
by Emerald Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 11:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes, it's rude to show up empty handed. You don't need to go buy something big, but making a dessert or scraping together the money to get something small would be advisable. 

MagicMary
by on Dec. 20, 2014 at 11:11 AM

Friends and family should never assume that kind of stuff (well no one) but you shouldn't be obligated or sad. Shit happens and I think EVERY person knows that.

Can you bake anything? Even making a plate of cookies wuld be a grand gesture.

brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Dec. 20, 2014 at 11:14 AM

You should go and get them something. You can buy candles with candle holders at the dollar store.  I bet 5 bucks could make a pretty nice gift for their home. 

Mandymb
by Platinum Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 11:15 AM
2 moms liked this
We don't bring gifts when we have Christmas dinner at my aunts.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 20, 2014 at 11:21 AM

It depends on your family.  My IL's knew that for years we lived paycheck to paycheck and barely survived on that until I got out of school and DH got into a better paying field.  Yet they constantly expected us to give them gifts any time they twisted our arm into coming to their house for anything including holidays.  And yes, family should grasp that you are poor if they spend any amount of time around you at all and should not expect you to give them things. 

LCJan21
by Silver Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 11:22 AM
My grandmother asked us to bring a "small $5 gift" for each of the 13 other people. I think I'm just going to make cookies instead...
o.O....
by Cara on Dec. 20, 2014 at 11:24 AM
I just bring booze if it's not for immediate family.
othermom
by Ruby Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 11:24 AM

I wouldn't expect you to bring gifts. Maybe bake some cookies

almburr
by Ruby Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 11:25 AM
Really? 13 gifts?

Quoting LCJan21: My grandmother asked us to bring a "small $5 gift" for each of the 13 other people. I think I'm just going to make cookies instead...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)