Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Temper Tantrums in Older Children and TEENAGERS

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2014 at 11:31 AM
  • 17 Replies
1 mom liked this

I am shocked at the number of people that claim that having a temper tantrum past the age of 2 or 4 is unacceptable meaning:

1. Something wrong with your child/teen

2. Your child/teen is spoiled

3. Any child/teen has any form of tantrum ever after age four is a bratty kid 

REALLY? What fucking planet are these people from? On top of that they brag how their kids NEVER have a tantrum? FUCKING REALLTY? I taught dance for many years and have seen kids of all ages, all home styles, parenting, single parent, married parents, great parents, and shitty parents kids that have from mild to moderate tantrums of different ages. YES INCLUDING teenagers! 

Have we forgotten that kids are growing mentally, physically, emotionally, and psychologically? What about the preteen years the most frustrating time for a child leaving childhood - entering teen years, growing changing bodies let us not forget HORMONES ANYONE?

I find absurd those that speak so negatively of kids having "melt-downs" or tantrams after 4-6 years of age is considered dysfunctional.

by on Dec. 20, 2014 at 11:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thetrollcat
by on Dec. 20, 2014 at 11:37 AM

BUMP!

Hoppers33
by Ruby Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 11:37 AM
I thought teen tantrums were normal! A tantrum isn't necessarily kicking on the ground, screaming. I experience them weekly with the door slamming and incessant whining about how IT'S NOT FAIR that so and so gets to do such and such, but she doesn't. If they weren't normal, why do most people dread the teen years?
TisHerself
by Platinum Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 11:41 AM
2 moms liked this

I think it is more of a difference in how tantrums are defined. 

If my teen was expressing age-appropriate disappointment fine; if he was throwing himself on the ground, wailing and thrashing, not so much. 

MrsCountryMama
by Beth on Dec. 20, 2014 at 11:41 AM
I didn't read your other post but I can't remember when the last time my 13 yr old threw a temper tantrum. I'm sure that'll change soon.

My 7 yr old dd just got done stomping out of the kitchen to throw herself on her bed and cry because she didn't get her way. I consider this a normal temper tantrum for a kid her age.

They don't happen daily but when she acts that way I ignore the initial tantrum and tell her to stay in her room until she has a better attitude.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Dec. 20, 2014 at 11:43 AM
This.

Quoting TisHerself:

I think it is more of a difference in how tantrums are defined. 

If my teen was expressing age-appropriate disappointment fine; if he was throwing himself on the ground, wailing and thrashing, not so much. 

thetrollcat
by on Dec. 20, 2014 at 11:45 AM

Exactly and today my eight year old has the flu and is throwing up. Possible her tantrum yesterday she wasnt feeling good.

Quoting Hoppers33: I thought teen tantrums were normal! A tantrum isn't necessarily kicking on the ground, screaming. I experience them weekly with the door slamming and incessant whining about how IT'S NOT FAIR that so and so gets to do such and such, but she doesn't. If they weren't normal, why do most people dread the teen years?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 20, 2014 at 11:48 AM
My oldest had more tantrums at 5 then he did as a toddler. He was really looking for more independence and there were times we just couldn't give it and he had full meltdowns (in private). I was shocked but always recognized that he just didn't have the appropriate words and coping skills for the disappointment and frustration.
APunchInTheFace
by on Dec. 20, 2014 at 11:50 AM
1 mom liked this
Ppl who say no are liars.

Even adults have tantrums. They may not be rolling on the ground crying, but yelling and screaming fits at cashiers or a waiter etc.....its a fucking temper tantrum. Lol

Sure some kids are more pron to certain behaviors based on home life etc.....
thetrollcat
by on Dec. 20, 2014 at 11:58 AM

I think if a tantrum is often then certainly there is a rooted problem. Mine I think was sick but it also rooted she isnt eating her lunch so she is very hungry by the time we pick her up from school on some days, not all but especially days she doesnt eat her lunch.

For other tantrums yes they still happen, bad day, sick, stressed, overwhelmed, so forth. I had a mild tantrum in my power point class in October right after my dad died I was having a difficult time processing my feelings. I should have stayed home that week and went to class, the teacher was so aggitating to me! She just kept talking and talking treating the students like they were five giving simple directions how to add animations to a damn slide! I was so aggitated and snapped at her.

It was very inappropriate of me indeed I did apologize to that instructor later. But ya shit happens depending what is going on ya know.

But all the time, ya something is definately wrong.

Quoting APunchInTheFace: Ppl who say no are liars. Even adults have tantrums. They may not be rolling on the ground crying, but yelling and screaming fits at cashiers or a waiter etc.....its a fucking temper tantrum. Lol Sure some kids are more pron to certain behaviors based on home life etc.....

Emycf
by on Dec. 20, 2014 at 12:03 PM
I agree. I had some doozies of temper tantrums as an older child and teen. Am I proud of that? No. But it's reality.

Tantrums happen. It's not pretty, but it's part of growing up.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)