Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If You Married a Man with an Unfortunate Last Name....

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2014 at 12:52 PM
  • 42 Replies

Did you change your name or keep your maiden name? If you kept your maiden name, was your DH hurt that you didn't take his last name?

I have a friend who's married name is pronounced "dry balls" and I know another person who's married name has "stunk" as the first syllable.  It just got me thinking.

by on Dec. 20, 2014 at 12:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ShastaRaine
by Bronze Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 12:54 PM

my exhusbands last name was Duda... no lie, like zippity doodah!!! i did take his last name when we were married but promptly changed it when we got divorced. I am grateful we only had girls together so they can get married and change their names.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 20, 2014 at 12:54 PM
1 mom liked this
DS has a male teacher whose last name is pronounced "Cooter" I really struggle to say it with a straight face!
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Dec. 20, 2014 at 12:56 PM
1 mom liked this
There is a gal here who got married and now her last name is Sackrider. She must really love that guy. DHs last name is an alcoholic beverage and most people think it's 'cool' so I had no problem taking it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 20, 2014 at 12:59 PM
It would suck, but i would still take the last name. Thankfully, i had a normal maiden name, and married into a normal name. The only issue I've ever had is BOTH last names have several common variants, and it grates on my nerves when people get them wrong.
Ultrakiwi
by Glockenspiel on Dec. 20, 2014 at 1:00 PM
I am debating this right now.. Df has a weird last name. He isn't hurt that I am considering just keeping my name, though.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 20, 2014 at 1:00 PM
There was this kid I went to school with and his mom took his dad's last name of Hooker. That wouldn't be so bad if his mom's name was not Ima. In a case like that I would not take his last name and I'm sure the guy would undersand.
.PinkSunshine.
by on Dec. 20, 2014 at 1:01 PM

eh, its not the worst but I prefer my maiden name. I changed it.

Zazayam
by Ruby Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 1:02 PM

I married a man that's last name rhymes with my first name. I usually go by a shortened version of my first name so I didn't think it was an issue at the time, but it was and I regretted it.

We're divorced though, and I went back to my maiden name.

fightlikegirl5
by on Dec. 20, 2014 at 1:02 PM
Of course I would. Taking your husband's name is the right thing to do and is what you should do if you truly love him. It signifies becoming 1. Actually DH would NOT have married me if I had even thought about not taking his name.
TLC4theworld
by Silver Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 1:03 PM
I wouldn't be able to say it. I would die laughing.

Quoting Anonymous 1: DS has a male teacher whose last name is pronounced "Cooter" I really struggle to say it with a straight face!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)