Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

is gingerbread house kit

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 6 Replies

a religious/christmas thing?

my son is spending the wkn at his best friends house. he bought a gingerbread house kit to bring with him for him and his friend to put together. when my husband found out about it he didn't think it was a good idea because his friend and family are Jewish and they don't do things like that. I didn't think about it at the time. I just thought it would be something fun for them to do. I didn't think about it might offending them. but I mentioned it to his mom several times when we were planning and setting it up and she never said anything that would indicate it would be bad. I don't think of a gingerbread house kit as being a religious thing either. I think my husband just being weird. but I don't know. is he right or crazy?

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 20, 2014 at 1:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
504bbymami
by Sapphire Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 1:38 PM
I guess because it's typically related to Christmas.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
handy0318
by Ruby Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 1:38 PM

I don't see how a gingerbread house could be considered religious, they're more seasonal. Just make sure there isn't any pork product in it or the candies (some things are made with lard).

Zazayam
by Ruby Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 1:40 PM

I think it's just more of a seasonal thing, but I've never really thought about it.

xtwistedxlovex
by on Dec. 20, 2014 at 1:40 PM

They're done for Chanukkah too. I'd be more worried about whether it was kosher.

KyBugsMommy815
by Silver Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 7:10 PM

Gingerbread houses aren't religious, imo. I might call the child's parents and ask, just to make sure but as far as I  know gingerbread houses are seasonal but not religious. As other have said though, I would make sure that it was kosher (another good reason to talk to the child's parents).

Rangermom772
by Platinum Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 7:12 PM

My Jewish friends all build them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)