Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

why is it so hard

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 16 Replies
To find a sitter around here! Bah. We've been looking for a month, I guess the hours played a roll in it, but one that we liked and planned on interviewing took another job that may interfere with the schedule we needed, another we liked lives where we used to live she says its only maybe 20 minutes away and she doesn't mind traveling but I know realistically it takes about 30 minutes especially at the time shed be coming and I'm worried shed decide it wasn't worth it and quit, one that applied that we liked so far said she wasn't available one of the 2 mornings we needed (the hours and dates were listed in the ad!), and 2 others I didn't like (one I didn't like right away not sure why but just got that feeling, the other legally can't work in the US), we have had 2 others apply I'm waiting to hear back from... One of them I'm kind of iffy because shes.. Well older and we have 2 small, quick and energetic boys (gets heard back from her and she said her other clients are opposite direction and it takes her 30 minutes to get to our side of town so she isn't able to-- I know it only takes 20 minutes since dh drives past her neighborhood twice a day, but that's fine and I understand)

To make matters worse... I just found out I have to change the schedule, I'd planned on 7-10:30 am but my class has a break followed by a lab so I won't be back til 11:30 so mornings are going to be insane cause I'll have to drive ds6 to school and come back for half hour to wait for the sitter then leave and Thursdays I'll have to drop my sister off at school or the bus stop, drop ds6 off at school, come back home and then leave again instead of going straight to the school to do a bit of work before class begins >.< so I have to check with the people who have applied if the change in hours is a problem and keep looking and do introductions and all soon :(
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 20, 2014 at 1:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MilkLover0203
by on Dec. 20, 2014 at 1:57 PM
Did you try Care.Com?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 20, 2014 at 2:02 PM

That's where a majority of them are from. We have basically nothing locally for sitters, no bulletin boards in town (not even at the college), no college newsletter, daycares dont keep any lists or anything, etc. Only thing we really have is the newspaper so basically had to do all my searching on sites like care.com and sittercity.com 

Quoting MilkLover0203: Did you try Care.Com?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 20, 2014 at 2:04 PM
The department of children and family should have a list of licensed home daycares for your area.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 20, 2014 at 2:05 PM
What about centers that do part time care?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 20, 2014 at 2:06 PM

None of them will take my youngest, I've already called all the local daycares (centers and in-home) plus all of them charge for the full day anyway so it'd cost a lot more

Quoting Anonymous 2: The department of children and family should have a list of licensed home daycares for your area.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 20, 2014 at 2:07 PM
1 mom liked this

None of them do hourly, they have drop ins but charge for the full day regardless of how many hours theyre there and none of them will take my youngest

Quoting Anonymous 3: What about centers that do part time care?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 20, 2014 at 2:10 PM
Oh boo sorry, that's lame! Keep an open mind with the older lady. When we were originally looking for care providers we figured a younger woman would be able to handle our 3 better, but an older lady ended up being awesome with them. Gl

Quoting Anonymous 1:

None of them do hourly, they have drop ins but charge for the full day regardless of how many hours theyre there and none of them will take my youngest

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 20, 2014 at 2:13 PM

Ya she just retired from teacher, and *looks* like she'd be able to keep up with them? lol. I know I cant judge a book by its cover though! We planned on doing interviews at the park so the kids can get a feel for them and so we can see interaction and all that. I'm waiting to hear back from her because she asked which part of town we live in and we apparently live the opposite side of town >.< once she replies I'll have to let her know the change in hours now... working up the new schedule on that 

Quoting Anonymous 3: Oh boo sorry, that's lame! Keep an open mind with the older lady. When we were originally looking for care providers we figured a younger woman would be able to handle our 3 better, but an older lady ended up being awesome with them. Gl
Quoting Anonymous 1:

MilkLover0203
by on Dec. 20, 2014 at 2:22 PM
I hate to even suggest it because people freak out but Craigslist has a childcare section.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

That's where a majority of them are from. We have basically nothing locally for sitters, no bulletin boards in town (not even at the college), no college newsletter, daycares dont keep any lists or anything, etc. Only thing we really have is the newspaper so basically had to do all my searching on sites like care.com and sittercity.com 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 20, 2014 at 2:24 PM
We don't have a local one :/ nearest CL is a little over an hour away...
And it kind of creeps me out lol. Weve never had a sitter before so freaked out already

Quoting MilkLover0203: I hate to even suggest it because people freak out but Craigslist has a childcare section.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)