Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I get him to talk?

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2014 at 3:15 PM
  • 15 Replies
My ds is 21 months old. I have tried everything I can think of to get him to talk. He can say mama, mommy, bubba, daddy, dada, go, bye bye, hi and he says eeeee for eat. For the most part he babbles, points and grunts.

I have told him to use his words. I have tried not giving him what he wants when he doesn't speak. He understands us when we talk to him. I can tell him to find his sippy, or get in his chair, or to bring me a diaper, etc and he does it. He shakes his head yes or no to questions.

Why won't he talk? How do I make him talk? I have talked to his pediatrician and he isn't concerned. I can't help but be concerned. We read to him daily and speak to him all day.

Any advice? Should I just back off or do more?
by on Dec. 20, 2014 at 3:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
blue-heart
by Ruby Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 3:25 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 20, 2014 at 3:28 PM
1 mom liked this
My son is 20 months and barely speaks as well. Probably less than yours. Keep doing what you're doing and he'll explode with language in time. As long as he understands you're just fine.
blue-heart
by Ruby Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 3:32 PM
Thanks. I know I shouldn't compare children. However, my oldest was speaking a lot more by this age. I tend to worry about everything too.

Quoting Anonymous 1: My son is 20 months and barely speaks as well. Probably less than yours. Keep doing what you're doing and he'll explode with language in time. As long as he understands you're just fine.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 20, 2014 at 3:34 PM
1 mom liked this
my daughter just turned 2 years old and doesn't talk at all. not 1 word. she just babbles. she has been getting speech therapy since she was 18 months old. but she still hasn't made any progress. her therapists are working with her to at least sign for stuff since she won't talk. but even that is not going well either. you can always contact your local ECI center and have them come out for a free evaluation and see what they say if your pediatrician is not concerned. sounds like your son could benefit but its not quite necessary either since he knows words and understands. he is just choosing not to.
opinionatedmom
by Platinum Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 3:34 PM
1 mom liked this
have his ears checked by an ent
luckysevenwow
by Emerald Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 3:35 PM
1 mom liked this
Chill out it will happen when he's ready. The average child doesn't say much till 2, the fact that he babies is a good sign, and your doctor is right to not be concerned.
Thunderbug75
by Platinum Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 3:38 PM
My son just turned two the beginning of the month. He babbles most of the day. He can say words and understands but just doesn't speak English yet.
He did say a complete sentence out of nowhere the other day though. We were playing with a tube looking thru it like a telescope. He grabbed it from me and looked thru it and said I see you! I was so happy.
All children develop differently and on their own time line. Just relax, keep doing what your doing and soon you won't be able to keep him quiet!
armywifey1983
by on Dec. 20, 2014 at 3:42 PM

Be consistent! Eventually, he will catch on and then there will be no stopping him. :)

blue-heart
by Ruby Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 3:43 PM
Thanks. I will look into it. Will I need a referral from his pediatrician or anything?

Quoting Anonymous 2: my daughter just turned 2 years old and doesn't talk at all. not 1 word. she just babbles. she has been getting speech therapy since she was 18 months old. but she still hasn't made any progress. her therapists are working with her to at least sign for stuff since she won't talk. but even that is not going well either. you can always contact your local ECI center and have them come out for a free evaluation and see what they say if your pediatrician is not concerned. sounds like your son could benefit but its not quite necessary either since he knows words and understands. he is just choosing not to.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 20, 2014 at 3:45 PM
1 mom liked this
no you shouldn't. I had one because my daughter's pediatrician was very concerned. but they told me you don't need one. you can just call them yourself and ask for a evaluation. but every one might be different. I would at least try. it doesn't hurt.
Quoting blue-heart: Thanks. I will look into it. Will I need a referral from his pediatrician or anything?
Quoting Anonymous 2: my daughter just turned 2 years old and doesn't talk at all. not 1 word. she just babbles. she has been getting speech therapy since she was 18 months old. but she still hasn't made any progress. her therapists are working with her to at least sign for stuff since she won't talk. but even that is not going well either. you can always contact your local ECI center and have them come out for a free evaluation and see what they say if your pediatrician is not concerned. sounds like your son could benefit but its not quite necessary either since he knows words and understands. he is just choosing not to.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)