Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

problems with Co parenting

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2014 at 3:20 PM
  • 8 Replies
My ex and I split up 6 months ago but agreed on co-parenting, however he's not keeping up his half of the bargin. It seems like since he has started dating someone he dosent care that I'm trying to make our daughter a better person. Our daughter is 2 years and fully potty trained during the day however when it comes to bedtime instead of him getting up with hey to go to the bathroom he just sticks a pull up on her. I asked him to have her in bed by 830 9 pm at night and stop her fluids, by 7 to make things a little easier and he for goes it all, he has her up till midnight most nights. Now since we Co parent we have joint custody, he also lives 7 hours away and gets her 2 weeks out of the month so when I get back and finally get her back on track it's time for her to go back again, I also call her every night to say goodnight something he doesn't do when I have her, but when I call her he always makes up an excuse like she's sleeping when I can heAR her in the back ground or he just doesn't answer at all. Can some one please give me some advice or something, I'm driving myself crazy. Especially since when I was with him for 3 yeas he never wanted to do anything family wise and now that he has this new girl they are always out doing family stuff with her kids..
by on Dec. 20, 2014 at 3:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
andreamarie
by Platinum Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 4:18 PM
My suggestion is less time with dad right now unless his relatives are involved. What you are describing I an awful lot of stress on a small child. He doesn't what to cooperate. You have to stand up for your child. It's not your fault he moved that far away. You need a new arrangement.
wise.toes
by on Dec. 20, 2014 at 4:23 PM
2 moms liked this

co parenting doesn't mean you get to dictate what happens in his home.

he doesn't want to do things your way, and he doesn't have to. 

it's frustrating, i know. welcome to parenting after "divorce" 

SAHMJC
by Emerald Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 4:34 PM
it sounds like you need to take this to court and get a court order. 2 weeks with you and two weeks with him doesn't make sense and will not work long term because she will have to eventually go to school. It's obviously not even working now.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 20, 2014 at 4:37 PM
I didn't read anything about him not co-parenting.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 20, 2014 at 4:38 PM
He doesn't have to wake her at night to pee. And you told him what time you want him to put her to bed? Smh.
bellaamore
by on Dec. 20, 2014 at 4:44 PM
Quoting wise.toes:

co parenting doesn't mean you get to dictate what happens in his home.

he doesn't want to do things your way, and he doesn't have to. 

it's frustrating, i know. welcome to parenting after "divorce" 

This exactly. What it does mean is making sure the child has the best from both homes. Letting her stay up late or wear a pull up in bed at this point isn't damaging and it may be his way of being apologetic.

Maybe ask him to tell her to try hard not to potty in the pull up at night, and sent along something he can use as a prize, like stickers. In a co parenting situation, this would be your place to step in when he doesn't seem to get it instead of blaming.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 20, 2014 at 4:47 PM
Co parenting doesn't mean he has to do what you say. You're jelous, so nothing he does will be good enough. You Need to get an actual co.
earlotta
by on Dec. 20, 2014 at 6:34 PM
I'm not jealous, before we split she was on a bed schedule we both agreed upon, I have still stuck with it. I don't understand that the fact that I asked him to help with potty training during the night is a former of jealousy. Yes I get the fact that I'm jealous that he is actually doing family stuff with new girlfriend but I have the best interest at heart for my child. I'm not telling him what to do not once have I have told him you need to do this or that, it's just frustrating when I'm trying to do something and it doesn't seem like he cares to help
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)