Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Well...what if I only want 1 child.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies
I love kids and prior to having my daughter I thought I wanted 2-3 children. She's almost two now and my family, my dh's family, and our mutual friends have been asking when we are going to have another child. I have told them all multiple times that we don't have plans for more. They think I've lost my mind. For whatever reason they can't fathom just having one child. (I have 5 siblings. My dh has 3 siblings, and literally 20+ cousins/nieces/nephews)

Honestly, I'm not sure I want to go through the worry ( I have a condition that increases the risk of miscarriages) and I like that my husband and I are able to give our daughter our time and attention that we didn't get from our parents growing up.

They also try to tell me she will be spoiled and be a cry baby without siblings. I understand they may have some wisdom, but I also think it's funny that people who gave their infants soda/candy and believe babies CAN be held too much are trying to question my reproductive choices.
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 20, 2014 at 4:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
beans13
by Gold Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 4:23 PM
We have one...she is 8. Love our little family.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 20, 2014 at 4:24 PM
From my experience they won't stop even if you have another. We have 2 DDs (only planned for one) and they keep asking when we are going to "have that boy" :-/
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 20, 2014 at 4:27 PM
Yeah. That's what I'm thinking. Plus they started asking when my dd was a couple months old when we were planning another. I love them all, but about ready to start telling people to mind their own business....

Quoting Anonymous 2: From my experience they won't stop even if you have another. We have 2 DDs (only planned for one) and they keep asking when we are going to "have that boy" :-/
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 20, 2014 at 4:28 PM
I have a 6 year old son and now one due in May. For a while we only planned to have him. Our families didn't bug us too much about it, it was mostly people we didn't know well. But if you are happy with one it doesn't matter. Just say you are happy with your family and that it is complete.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 20, 2014 at 4:29 PM
Your dh is happy with one as well?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Dec. 20, 2014 at 4:30 PM

Sometimes I wish I would have stopped at one. I think you're smart. Lol.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 20, 2014 at 4:32 PM
I believe so. I've been a stay at home mom/online student with my daughter. We want to buy a house and he's brought up how it will be easier when we are both working. We both agree that we want one of us to be home until our daughter is in preschool. If we had another baby that would change things. If he wanted another baby I would be willing to consider as well, but we would need to change plans.

Quoting Anonymous 4: Your dh is happy with one as well?
StoicLife
by Katerina on Dec. 20, 2014 at 4:33 PM

I'm an only child and only want one child.  My entire existence isn't being a mom. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 20, 2014 at 4:35 PM
I'm sure you love your kids. But I can also understand that it must be a lot busier with more than one.

Quoting Anonymous 5:

Sometimes I wish I would have stopped at one. I think you're smart. Lol.

bcoll
by on Dec. 20, 2014 at 4:35 PM
Do what's right for your family. It's no one else's choice mama.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)