Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Don't call her that!

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2014 at 5:34 PM
  • 70 Replies

They do an arts and crafts kids program at our community center. It's fun and the kids like it. It's a once a month thing on Friday evenings, so I always bring my kids, my son is seven and my younger son and daughter are both one, and two of my cousins, who are seven and four. 

I noticed that the whole time, the art teacher kept calling my cousin "Missy", she put it on her name tag, and she wrote it on all of her crafts. When we were finished and in the hallways I said "Artemisia, why does Mrs. K call you Missy?", she said "I don't know, I asked her to please stop but she won't, could you ask her not to?" My cousin likes pretty dresses and is a little lady, but otherwise she is certainly not a "Missy" in personality and she hates being called that, she says it sounds like a little pink poodle name. At first I thought it was another pronunciation issue. My four year old cousin, her younger sister, is named Anais, anne-eye-ees, and Mrs. K always calls her Anna because she said she would just mess up the pronunciation. My son's named is Firo, pronounced fear-row, and she always calls him Row, same reason. Whatever, that's fine.

The teacher walked past so I said "hi, Artemisia said that you have been calling her Missy and writing it on her things, it's a very cute nickname but she doesn't care for it, we call her Art sometimes, if you wouldn't mind using that instead." She told me that she knows that we call her Art, but she didn't want to call her that because my daughter is named Ariadne and we call her Ari sometimes, so the two girls will get mixed up. I said "oh, we haven't had a problem with that, or you could just call her Artemisia", nope, it's too long according to her. Meanwhile her child's name is Carolina, not much shorter. So out of the five kids, she only calls one by their actual name, my seven year old son Abel. I don't care if she wants to use a nickname, but at least use one the kid actually likes. 

Edit: My issue isn't that she doesn't call her by her full name, I addressed several times that I don't care if she calls her a nickname. My issue is that she calls her one that she doesn't like and refuses to do otherwise for stupid reasons. And I'm sorry that we all can't have super wonder bread names and some of us have names that are from different cultures, get over it.

by on Dec. 20, 2014 at 5:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
drowningmama
by on Dec. 20, 2014 at 5:36 PM
That is a hard name...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 20, 2014 at 5:36 PM
4 moms liked this

Those names, what did you expect?

NiamhWitch
by Póg mo thóin on Dec. 20, 2014 at 5:39 PM
3 moms liked this

Those are all awesome names.

I think I have a name-crush on you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 20, 2014 at 5:39 PM
It's only once a month, I would just let it go
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 20, 2014 at 5:41 PM
1 mom liked this

That is the risk you take when you chose to give your child awful names because you think it makes you look oh so super special and edgy!  Get the fuck over it!

TheSilence
by on Dec. 20, 2014 at 5:44 PM
What a wench. I hate people who decide to create nicknames for children without taking the child's wishes into consideration.
My niece is Aoife and my sil had to go into school and stop the teacher from forcing my niece to spell it Eefa since it was 'easier' for the teacher to spell. She also insisted on calling my niece Eva or Evie.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 20, 2014 at 5:45 PM
2 moms liked this
no offense, but all those names are very difficult and hard to say correctly for most people. I honestly have no clue how to pronounce them either and would probably shorten them as well. there is nothing wrong with the names. but when you choose names like that, you have to expect that most people are gonna have problems saying them correctly.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Dec. 20, 2014 at 5:45 PM
4 moms liked this

It is not the teacher's place to change a child's name and, frankly, it's rather lazy & unprofessional of her to do so. Speak to the center's director if for no other reason than to let the child know she matters & the adults in her life are willing to stand up for her.

My son's name is Samuel and we have always called him Samuel, but my SIL (now ex-SIL) insisted on calling him Sammy, which he hated. One day, when he was 6, he looked her straight in the eye and said "My name is Samuel, not Sammy, so stop calling me somebody else or I won't answer." He stood up for himself & I was so proud of him. To this day, nobody calls him Sammy, but he will answer to Sam. :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Dec. 20, 2014 at 5:47 PM
With names like that it sounds like the teacher is being kind.

There is a child at the day care I work at named Myson. Pronounced "my son". Well, we lost our son a year ago. There is no way in hell I am ever going to call this child by name and that's just the way it is. Some times people just pick the stupidest things on earth to name their kids and there are always going to be random members of society who recognize this, even if the poor child hasn't realized it yet.
AngelSinger
by MS Warrior on Dec. 20, 2014 at 5:50 PM
1 mom liked this
I assumed the family has those names because they are Greek and are honoring their background.

I have a very unusual name. My parents did not give it to me to be "special."

Quoting Anonymous 3:

That is the risk you take when you chose to give your child awful names because you think it makes you look oh so super special and edgy!  Get the fuck over it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)