Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my children are going to hate me soon

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 27 Replies
My oldest two kids are 7&6. Since I've gone back to work they've decided they shouldn't have to listen to me. They won't do as I ask they blatantly disregard what I say and ignore me.

I've never had to discipline them much other than the normal "no don't so that" ect. Telling them once has always been enough.

My DD got all of her toys donated to our homeless shelter's thrift store. All she has in her room is her clothes, bed, and dresser. (She is 6)

My son still has all of his stuff its all fixing to be donated and thrown away.

They've both been grounded from outside, the TV, going anywhere. I am honeztly at a loss for what else to do to get them to listen.

I've already told them if they do t fix their attitudes quick that they won't be getting anything for Christmas and they just don't seem to care.

I've tried timeouts they have no effect what so ever.

I've tried popping butts and my DS screams like I'm killing him and throws himself down in a tantrum worthy of a two year old, and my DD just glares at me and dares me to do it again.

They don't take me serious at all and I don't understand the complete 180 they've done in the last 2 months.

I'm fixing to get rid of everything in my house and ground them until they turn 18
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 20, 2014 at 7:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TiffanyRose06
by Queso<3 on Dec. 20, 2014 at 7:54 PM
Are you still spending time with them? Thats a big adjustment for kids, going from not working to working
JENNlEPEPSl
by on Dec. 20, 2014 at 7:56 PM

IMO, 6 is not old enough to understand the gravity of that punishment. That is too far. I would have taken her toys away and put them in the garage or shed for a week. Then let her earn them back. 

Have you ever heard of 123Magic? It is amazing, and has helped so many women I know personally, and also millions of readers all over! Give it a shot! 

MommaTurbo
by Gold Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 7:57 PM
3 moms liked this

So, basically, you're punishing them for acting out in the typical way 7 and 6 year olds do when their lives are flipped upside down.

Sounds like a good plan...

susannah2000
by Ruby Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 8:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting MommaTurbo:

So, basically, you're punishing them for acting out in the typical way 7 and 6 year olds do when their lives are flipped upside down.

So becoming real brats is "typical" acting out because their mother went back to work a couple of months ago? The kids aren't begging in the street or sent down the mines, How is OP working flipping their lives upside down?

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Dec. 20, 2014 at 8:03 PM
1 mom liked this
I'd have given them the opportunity to earn their stuff back with good behavior and chores.
MommaTurbo
by Gold Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 8:04 PM
2 moms liked this

Uh. Yeah. Kids need stability and consistency. 

If they were perfect angels before she went back to work, and now all of the sudden are heathens, then something obviously disrupted their world. 

I go through it with my kids every time we move, or some other major event happens in our lives. 

Quoting susannah2000:

Quoting MommaTurbo:

So becoming real brats is "typical" acting out because their mother went back to work a couple of months ago? The kids aren't begging in the street or sent down the mines, How is OP working flipping their lives upside down?

TCain0001
by Silver Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Pop them on the ass, then walk away.  When the tantrum starts, ignore it.......he's doing it to get a rise out of you.  If you ignore him and the tantrum, he'll realize that all he's doing is wasting his own time and energy, and it'll stop quick enough,  If the behavior keeps on, keep popping them on the butt........they'll get sick of having a sore ass soon enough.

FairestOfAll
by Bronze Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 8:07 PM
"It's all fixing, I'm fixing to". Annoying.

Anyways, I think your punishments are a bit rough considering their ages. They're probably used to you being home and now that you are working you're not with them as much and maybe more tired than usual? Idk, but I'd definitely stop "popping butts".
Spare.Time
by Emerald Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 8:08 PM

Who cares for them while you work?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 20, 2014 at 8:08 PM
2 moms liked this
I totally agree. I'm not staying they don't need discipline but they need some compassion for the change that has occurred.

I believe tossing stuff isn't effective for a 6 year old. You should have boxed it all up and put it in the garage. They can see it's all there ready to be back in their rooms once they start behaving again... once it's gone, they forget PLUS what else do they have to lose? Why should they behave now?...

Quoting MommaTurbo:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)