Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Off the christmas topic. *warning: morbid and taboo*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 95 Replies

I'm watching "Taboo" and it's about death taboos and how different cultures treat death.

They did a segment on American funerals, specifically, open casket funerals and embalming, and I must say I found it intriguing and creepy at once.  I can't imagine how preserving a body with chemical and make up to look sleeping would be consoling to those left behind.  

Since cafemom is mostly American, I thought I'd ask.  How common is this? Does it help with the grief process to see a loved one like that?  

No judgements btw, I personally believe people should do as they see fit when it comes to grieving and obviously cultures have differences and there's nothing wrong with that.  I'm just curious.

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 25, 2014 at 12:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucydiamond
by LD on Dec. 25, 2014 at 12:16 AM
2 moms liked this
I want my organs donated and then a cremation. I find anything else weird.
AngelSinger
by MS Warrior on Dec. 25, 2014 at 12:16 AM
1 mom liked this
It's very common. It does seem to help some folks accept the death and say goodbye.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 25, 2014 at 12:17 AM

Same here

Quoting lucydiamond: I want my organs donated and then a cremation. I find anything else weird.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 25, 2014 at 12:18 AM

I would think people would find it upsetting.  

Quoting AngelSinger: It's very common. It does seem to help some folks accept the death and say goodbye.

heydooney
by Gold Member on Dec. 25, 2014 at 12:20 AM
I'm American and I think it's kind of weird. But when my great aunt and uncle were killed in a car crash it was comforting to see them looking so normal. I don't know why. But I don't want an open casket. I don't want a casket at all, I want to be cremated.
Squat2pee
by on Dec. 25, 2014 at 12:20 AM
It's all in what you are used to. I don't know any different. What do you do in your country?

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Quoting AngelSinger: It's very common. It does seem to help some folks accept the death and say goodbye.

AngelSinger
by MS Warrior on Dec. 25, 2014 at 12:20 AM
Some do. So they skip the wake or don't approach the coffin.

I tried to do away with the viewing when my dad died. Hundreds of shocked calls/texts/emails later, I changed my mind. It seems to be a very important part of closure for some folks.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 25, 2014 at 12:20 AM
There's a study that says we have so much preservatives in our foods that by 2022 there won't be a need for embalming fluid.
AngelSinger
by MS Warrior on Dec. 25, 2014 at 12:21 AM
We did both with my dad. He was cremated after the viewing.

Quoting heydooney: I'm American and I think it's kind of weird. But when my great aunt and uncle were killed in a car crash it was comforting to see them looking so normal. I don't know why. But I don't want an open casket. I don't want a casket at all, I want to be cremated.
LoinND
by on Dec. 25, 2014 at 12:21 AM

I really hate open caskets - my moms was open and it looked nothing like her - and yes I thought it was a lil creepy - the really sad part was everyone was there but her and every time someone walked in I kept expecting it to be her with her consoling smile a big huge hugs and kisses on our cheeks... my mom has been gone 18 years and I still miss her like it was yesterday... so no I don't think seeing body in the casket helped me stop grieving any sooner...

My dad was creamated and buried, and I am so happy I do not have the memory of his 'fake' looking body is the casket...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)