Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So, I have a gerbil down my shirt... *Update*

Posted by on Dec. 25, 2014 at 12:36 AM
  • 9 Replies

My DDs gerbil is sick. Really sick. She's lethargic, stumbling, won't open her eyes (she can, she just doesn't want to), and is cold to the touch. I'm not sure what's wrong but it doesn't look good. I really don't want my DD to wake up on Christmas morning to a dead pet. She's 16 so she'll understand, but she's very sensitive and loves her pets. I'm hoping she hangs on until Friday so I can take her to the vet. To try to help her, I decided to tuck her inside my shirt to warm her up. She isn't moving around in my shirt, but I can feel her twitch every now and then. If I try to move her, she quietly squeaks. I feel like she's not going to make it, but I don't want her to die alone in her cage. I have some hope. My other DDs hamster was like this last year after a really cold night. DH held her against his chest and rubbed her for an hour and a half!  She's now a happy, healthy hamster. I'm hoping this turns out the same. We'll see. :-(

Update!! After TWO HOURS of cuddling up inside my shirt, she is back to her normal self! She's warm, her eyes are open, no stumbling, crawling all over the place, and she devoured some gerbil cookies! I'm so glad she's ok. DD is going to be ecstatic when she wakes up!

by on Dec. 25, 2014 at 12:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 25, 2014 at 12:37 AM
:/ no er vets around
blue-heart
by Ruby Member on Dec. 25, 2014 at 12:39 AM
:( I hope the gerbil makes it. Good luck.
Hannahluvsdogs
by Keyser Söze on Dec. 25, 2014 at 12:39 AM

Good luck. My DD was devastated when her hamster died.

casah4
by on Dec. 25, 2014 at 12:43 AM

Quoting Anonymous 1: :/ no er vets around

I'm searching right now in case she gets any worse. I found one doctor in the next town over so I'll call and see if she's available tonight.

eadyT
by on Dec. 25, 2014 at 12:48 AM
I love Gerbils and Hamsters. I really hope she makes it. Good luck to you.
casah4
by on Dec. 25, 2014 at 1:00 AM

I've had her in my shirt for about half an hour now. She's actually perking up. She just crawled out of my shirt and onto my chest. Then she burrowed back down into my shirt. I'm going to let her hang out in there as long as she needs to. I know this is weird, but I really want her to be ok. Sometimes you just have to stick a gerbil down your shirt. lol

Jenniy
by Ruby Member on Dec. 25, 2014 at 1:05 AM
Good luck! My Dd was devastated when her parakeet died. She's now SUPER paranoid about her finch.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 25, 2014 at 2:50 AM
My DD'S guinea pig died in August and later that same day I was admitted to the hospital for 10 days! I ended up having to have my gallbladder removed and had complications during surgery. I felt so bad not being there for her after her beloved pet died.
Hannahluvsdogs
by Keyser Söze on Dec. 25, 2014 at 3:00 AM

Hooray!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)