Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

They were giving me grief that I'm making him gay...

Posted by on Dec. 25, 2014 at 12:45 AM
  • 11 Replies
My ds is two. He's around me the majority of the time and copies what he sees. When I paint my toes, he wants his done. I admit, I've done them a few times. I know some think it's a big deal, I don't.

Our tradition is everyone chooses one gift to open Christmas Eve and we open the rest on Christmas morning. Dh's kids are here and follow the tradition. So we opened our one gift tonight. Ds (2) got Mickey Mouse footed pjs which he wanted on ASAP. He loves Mickey Mouse. My dd opened a lipgloss/hair chalk set. As soon as ds saw what she had he was all over it wanting lipgloss on and colored hair. I thought it was cute and mentioned how it was sort of funny it was the only gift the others opened he was interested in. Dh and his two older sons (14 and 13) started declaring how it was my fault ds was into these things and I'm going to make him gay! Are you serious??? I don't encourage him but I don't discourage it either. I let him choose what he likes. I don't tell him "that's for girls".

May be stupid but I was bothered by it. He likes what he likes. It may be because he's imitating me or shoot that he's "gay". Idgaf. I think it's dumb to tell a kid they can't like something because it's meant for a different gender.
by on Dec. 25, 2014 at 12:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AngelSinger
by MS Warrior on Dec. 25, 2014 at 12:51 AM
For years my FIL was convinced my MIL had "made dh gay." This was because she made him try on clothes that were hand-me-downs from her sister's kids, including underwear that turned out to be a girl's. He was shocked when I became pregnant.

My aunt was often told that the reason her son was gay was that she taught him to wipe his penis instead of shaking it after he urinated.

Some people are just weird.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 25, 2014 at 12:51 AM
Meh, he's 2. He wants to copy you more than it being any other kind of issue.
notdown4games
by Silver Member on Dec. 25, 2014 at 12:55 AM
1 mom liked this
They're overreacting. He's little. It's most likely just imitating what he sees. And if he really likes these things it's not a bad thing. Tell them all that It has been shown that children who play with toys that are considered to be gender specific (boys with "girl" toys, girls with "boy" toys) have wider ranges of interest, score higher in subjects that are generally dominated by the opposite gender, and are more well rounded, confident, and empathetic.
Also, You can't "make him gay". And if he is gay, SO WHAT?
MamaBear131716
by Platinum Member on Dec. 25, 2014 at 2:35 AM
My feelings exactly!

Quoting notdown4games: They're overreacting. He's little. It's most likely just imitating what he sees. And if he really likes these things it's not a bad thing. Tell them all that It has been shown that children who play with toys that are considered to be gender specific (boys with "girl" toys, girls with "boy" toys) have wider ranges of interest, score higher in subjects that are generally dominated by the opposite gender, and are more well rounded, confident, and empathetic.
Also, You can't "make him gay". And if he is gay, SO WHAT?
Hannahluvsdogs
by Keyser Söze on Dec. 25, 2014 at 2:39 AM

I would've told them they either need to apologize for their ignorance or stfu for the rest of the evening.

AllofFive19
by Emerald Member on Dec. 25, 2014 at 2:40 AM
My brother dressed in my dresses, held fashion shows, had a cabbage patch and we played with dolls as well as action figures. He's straight. They're idiots
JENNlEPEPSl
by on Dec. 25, 2014 at 2:43 AM
I would tell them all to grow up or keep their mouth shut
mlkmylove
by on Dec. 25, 2014 at 2:46 AM
For one... you can not make anyone gay. For another you do the right thing by letting him choose what he is interested in on his own and don't tell him "that's for girls" ect. My son went to school with his nails painted a couple times cause he wanted too. I let him choose what he wants to do as long as it doesn't hurt him or others. I wouldnt have put up with that talk and rudeness.
sweetsmom_23
by Silver Member on Dec. 25, 2014 at 2:46 AM
Sounds like homophobia. Kids like what they like regardless of what you do or don't do his sexual orientation can't be taught.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 25, 2014 at 2:48 AM

Your son is only 2. He doesn't know yet what sexuality he is. You need to educate the other kids in your family about that & tell them bashing gay people is not acceptable. I would be livid. It's totally normal for a boy his age to want to play with girl toys when they are around girls & see what fun stuff they get to play with.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)