Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ummm... not sure how I feel about this

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 16 Replies
I have two sons, 16 and 9.

We opened presents at my parents house and their gift sizes are completely different. My oldest got the Xbox one with a bunch of games. Plus an almost $2,000 check.

My youngest got one 360 game, and an SD Memory card for his tablet. At most, it's less than $100.

My oldest doesn't have a 'need' for the check. He's not off to college for another 2 years, if he decides to go (he's thinking military). He has a car- which i pay everything for (yes, including gas).

Idk. I'm just feeling a bit off on this. My youngest is an even bigger gamer than my oldest. My oldest mainly uses the Xbox for Netflix, while my youngest actually plays games. They have their own separate 360's so i don't expect my oldest to share his One with my youngest, but i know my youngest was a bit... hurt? Shocked? when his brother opened his gift.

Normally the presents are somewhat even. But this year, it's just such a big gap. My oldest was nonchalant about his present but my youngest was excited to receive his. His tablet is running out of space and as a gamer, he can always play more games lol
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 25, 2014 at 9:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rangermom772
by Platinum Member on Dec. 25, 2014 at 9:10 AM

Put it in his savings account or college fund

B1Bomber
by Ruby Member on Dec. 25, 2014 at 9:12 AM
Ouch.
theboyfactory
by on Dec. 25, 2014 at 9:13 AM
If your youngest isn't hurt by it, I would try to let it go. I'd be questioning it in my head and I don't understand why people do that, but I'd just move on and be glad the youngest wasn't affected.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 25, 2014 at 9:15 AM
They gave it to him to use as "free money". I'm thinking that i should take it when we leave here though. Just the way they presented it to him, i know if i took it, even for a good cause, they'll get mad and I'll "ruin Christmas". I'll wait till we get home.

Quoting Rangermom772:

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Dec. 25, 2014 at 9:15 AM

Did you ask your parents about it privately?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 25, 2014 at 9:16 AM
I know once my oldest gets his Xbox one set up, my youngest will start questioning it more. Like it really doesn't make sense. Why not do the game stuff for the kid who actually plays games?

Quoting theboyfactory: If your youngest isn't hurt by it, I would try to let it go. I'd be questioning it in my head and I don't understand why people do that, but I'd just move on and be glad the youngest wasn't affected.
Rangermom772
by Platinum Member on Dec. 25, 2014 at 9:17 AM

Does your son do those school trips in the summer to Europe? I would tell my son it is going towards that. We make him pay 10% of each trip! but if he got two grand, he could help out a bit more!

Quoting Anonymous 1: They gave it to him to use as "free money". I'm thinking that i should take it when we leave here though. Just the way they presented it to him, i know if i took it, even for a good cause, they'll get mad and I'll "ruin Christmas". I'll wait till we get home.
Quoting Rangermom772:

susannah2000
by Emerald Member on Dec. 25, 2014 at 9:19 AM

It does seem odd, and not at all considerate of your younger son's feelings. As asked, are you going to speak to your parents privately? I would let them know that gifts need to be equitable unless there is a good reason that they aren't.

Tigress22304
by Platinum Member on Dec. 25, 2014 at 9:20 AM

I would say something-but that's just me...luckily my parents keep everything even between my 3 kids.

susannah2000
by Emerald Member on Dec. 25, 2014 at 9:21 AM
3 moms liked this

Quoting Rangermom772:

Does your son do those school trips in the summer to Europe? I would tell my son it is going towards that. We make him pay 10% of each trip! but if he got two grand, he could help out a bit more!

Quoting Anonymous 1: They gave it to him to use as "free money". I'm thinking that i should take it when we leave here though. Just the way they presented it to him, i know if i took it, even for a good cause, they'll get mad and I'll "ruin Christmas". I'll wait till we get home.
Quoting Rangermom772:

Or he could use it to pay his own car expenses. If he is old enough to drive, he is old enough to be at least helping to pay his car expenses, if not completely. Good drivers are mature and responsible.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)