Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help, how do I nicely tell him I don't like it?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 63 Replies
My DH bought me a pendent for Christmas, it's from Kay jewelers and it's two hearts and it's a pink sapphire. I hate hate hate pink and its a lot bigger than anything I would wear. I have a very specific jewelry store I like and he's going to expect me to wear this until he buys me another pendent several years from now and he spent a couple hundred bucks on it. I'd rather return it and get something I would wear so how do I nicely say that?

It IS the thought 100% and I appreciate the thought in it but it's not anything I would wear so how do I tell him without hurting his feelings?

And he paid cash and does have the reciept so can we return it and get cash that can be used at the store I like?

And yes he does know what store I like, he just wanted to try something different.
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 25, 2014 at 9:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tinybluemoon
by on Dec. 25, 2014 at 9:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Remove it from my presence, peasant.

Though I get the feeling that nobody else speaks to their husband that way...

Stephd710
by Emerald Member on Dec. 25, 2014 at 9:50 AM
4 moms liked this
You don't. You keep your mouth shut and appreciate that he went and got you something very nice.
megm11511
by Silver Member on Dec. 25, 2014 at 9:50 AM
Do you wear much pink? If not you could say something like you worry about it not matching your wardrobe and that you'd like to be able to wear your new jewelry often. That's a tough one.
OrientalLily
by Platinum Member on Dec. 25, 2014 at 9:51 AM

I would very kindly thank him for the thought and tell him flat out.  His feelings will be more hurt if you never wear the thing.  Perhaps you could give him ideas of pendants that you would wear and send him over to the store you like.  Let him have another shot at buying you something you would like.

bklynmama716
by John 3:16 on Dec. 25, 2014 at 9:52 AM
Just tell him.. I always tell dh ifI don't like something. I'm sure he'd rather the cash be spent on something you'd wear.
supermommy35
by on Dec. 25, 2014 at 9:52 AM
1 mom liked this
Appreciate the gift and thank him.
PhantomRose88
by Ruby Member on Dec. 25, 2014 at 9:53 AM
3 moms liked this

Poor guy.

If you are that specific and ungreatful, just come right out and tell him. He's going to be hurt however way you say it. 

.PinkSunshine.
by on Dec. 25, 2014 at 9:54 AM
*clutches my pearls and drops to the ground*
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 25, 2014 at 9:54 AM
That's a good idea, thanks

Quoting OrientalLily:

I would very kindly thank him for the thought and tell him flat out.  His feelings will be more hurt if you never wear the thing.  Perhaps you could give him ideas of pendants that you would wear and send him over to the store you like.  Let him have another shot at buying you something you would like.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 25, 2014 at 9:54 AM

Thats a difficult one because it was a thoughful personal gift...My husband and I have been married for almost 30 years and although it sounds weird, we never buy each other personal gifts...(jewelry or clothing) because no matter how well you think you know that person there is too much risk in picking out something that person won't like...I would be honest with him...Tell him you love him for taking the time to pick something out, but its not your color and you would like something a little more delicate (smaller)....his feelings might be a little hurt but explain to him that it is much better to exchange it for something you will wear a long time rather than keep the pendant he purchased and keep it in the jewelry box.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)