Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ok I'm going to freak out now!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 21 Replies

I'm due ANY DAY with my first and I've got a terrible confession to make. I've never held a newborn baby before!!

So... will the hospital understand that I don't know what the hell I'm doing? What will they do once she's born? Do they teach you how to do this? 

Let me start by saying that I was going to go with a midwife so hospital tour/classes were the furthest thing from my mind. Now last minute change of plans because we had to move out of state a week ago and I broke down and went with a normal OB as I couldn't find a midwife out here that I was comfortable with.

So any stories about what to expect? 

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 25, 2014 at 2:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Stephd710
by Emerald Member on Dec. 25, 2014 at 2:26 PM
Yes the hospital will help you with every aspect from how to hold to how to give a bath and change a diaper. When I had my girls they gave me a list of stuff and I was to check off all the things I felt I needed a lesson on before we left.
Arwyn724
by on Dec. 25, 2014 at 2:28 PM

Pediatric nurses are very good at making new moms feel comfortable with their newborns.  Most labor/delivery wards have excellent lactation coaches, too. They should answer all your questions and assuage all your fears before you leave.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 25, 2014 at 2:28 PM
I didn't even know how to dress a newborn. The nurse had to show us. Don't feel bad!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 25, 2014 at 2:29 PM

Oh nice. So can they teach you how to put them in a carseat? How to breastfeed? All the fun stuff? Or is it just a small list of what to do? 

Quoting Stephd710: Yes the hospital will help you with every aspect from how to hold to how to give a bath and change a diaper. When I had my girls they gave me a list of stuff and I was to check off all the things I felt I needed a lesson on before we left.

Stephd710
by Emerald Member on Dec. 25, 2014 at 2:31 PM
Yes they taught me all of that. I had done it before with my sisters kids (well not the breastfeeding lol) but I asked for the lessons anyway. They had a lactation consultant come to my room each day to help and give me hints and stuff.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Oh nice. So can they teach you how to put them in a carseat? How to breastfeed? All the fun stuff? Or is it just a small list of what to do? 

Quoting Stephd710: Yes the hospital will help you with every aspect from how to hold to how to give a bath and change a diaper. When I had my girls they gave me a list of stuff and I was to check off all the things I felt I needed a lesson on before we left.

bribri1980
by on Dec. 25, 2014 at 2:32 PM
I never had held a baby before having mine. It comes naturally.
screamingmommy
by Bronze Member on Dec. 25, 2014 at 2:33 PM
The nursing staff is very capable. They will help you with everything. Changing diapers, cleaning the belly button, breast feeding. All of it. I didn't know how to do anything when I had my first baby. Believe in yourself. You will be fine.
kajira
by Gold Member on Dec. 25, 2014 at 2:34 PM

i suggest if you want to breastfeed, you join the breastfeeding support group on here, and ask questions, alot of time nurses and even hospital lactation people don't have all the right information.

The hospital I gave birth in didn't even HAVE a lactation consultant. LOL

kajira
by Gold Member on Dec. 25, 2014 at 2:34 PM

Also - some things DONT come naturally, so don't feel like a failure if there's a learning curve. :P

Quoting bribri1980: I never had held a baby before having mine. It comes naturally.

mes_deux_amours
by Ruby Member on Dec. 25, 2014 at 2:35 PM
Don't be afraid to ask :) they're more than happy to help. DH and I both asked the nurse how to change our first ds how to change him. We've both changed diapers before but never our own child.

Congrats. :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)